Friday, February 20, 2009

Surviving the Recession

With prices going up, the dollar is just not going very far. There is no doubt times are tough right now. I refuse to live in fear. My God has always supplied my needs and I have no doubt HE WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.  Yet~the wise ant prepares for the winter. What can we do to make our $ stretch? 
Our family has decided to take the challenge to make money by saving money.  These are the changes we are making:

  • *Cooking from scratch
  This requires a well stocked pantry. I have been making my own sauces, Bisquick mix, pancake mix, pudding, bread ect....and you would not believe how much money I am saving.  I am going to start posting my recipes~hope they are a blessing to you!

 This is my list that I keep on hand. (I go to my nearby Amish friends to stock up! The $ stores are a cheap place also.)
  1. flour (wheat and white)
  2. corn starch
  3. baking soda 
  4. baking powder
  5. cinnamon
  6. vanilla
  7. sugar
  8. honey
  9. onion flakes
  10. bouillon cubes
  11. oregano
  12. sea salt
  13. pepper
  14. olive oil
  15. paprika
  16. onion powder
  17. garlic powder
  18. basil
  19. yeast
  20. garlic flakes
  21. vinegar
  22. rice 
  23. oatmeal 
  24. tomato sauce 
  25. tomato paste
  26. stewed tomatoes
  27. powdered milk

  • *Making Homemade Cleaners
My recipes are being posted to my site. I will continue to add more.

Here is what I keep on hand. You will be amazed just how well these homemade cleaners compare to the store bought brands.

  1. 2o Mule Team Borax
  2. Armor Hammer Washing Soda
  3. White Distilled Vinegar
  4. Palmolive
  5. Laundry Bar Soap
  6. Rubbing Alcohol
  7. Olive Oil
  8. Lemon Juice
  9. Tea Bags (wood floors)
  10. Bleach
  11. Baking Soda
  12. Essential oil (for Laundry Soap to smell good)
  • *Planting a garden
I will blog and post photos as we go! Next week I plan to order heirloom seeds and start my seedlings. This is our first time~ so I will pray over them in great hopes to get a little help from above.

  • Start a flock of laying hens

I ordered my flock from a Hatchery. They will arrive as one day old chicks the first part of April. I will share our process as we go. I am really looking forward to meeting my girls!                                                                                               
  • CVS Shopping
(see Money Saving Mom on my blogs I follow)                                                                       

 This really works. This is my third week and I have stocked my toiletries already with little money out of my pocket! Give it a try.


  • Ordered A Side of Beef
This was such a huge savings! Just remember you pay by hanging weight!  We got 300 pounds of meat which worked out to be $2.48 for Prime Beef. We will work this in with the venison my hunter took along with chicken and sale meat.   If you have an Amish community in your area check into this huge money savings.                        


Sometimes having a plan just makes us feel better. I had an amazing Grandmother,who only had one arm, due to cancer. She taught me so much about having a little vinegar and grit. She survived the Great Depression and it made her a better person. I am making this homesteading journey a challenge and I am excited to share it with you. I invite you to come along!

No comments:

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details