Thursday, May 21, 2009

Easy~Homemade Liquid Hand Soap


Are you tired of spending so much money in the cleaning isle?
I have been making my own cleaners and Laundry Soap with great results. If you have not tried my Laundry Recipes they are posted at the end of my blog. I am saving tons of money and time. I make huge quantities in minutes. I am running to the store much less. With just a few ingredients I can meet all our needs with a fraction of the cost. I am still experimenting. Here is my lastest money saving recipe~

Liquid Hand Soap~
1/2 bar soap (leftover pieces are great~I really like Dove)
4 cups of water
1/4 cup of my handy dandy Borax (Look at my Borax post)
1/4 cup of Washing Soda
a few drops of essential oil (optional~where I buy mine is posted at the end of my blog)

Grate soap. Place in a saucepan with water and heat.Do not boil! Add borax or washing soda. Stir until dissolved. Pour into a 1 gallon jug and top off with water. It will thicken as it cools . Place in a pump bottle.  What a savings. I just love not depending on store bought thing that I can make from my own pantry! Try it you will like it........wink! You may have to add more water after it thickens to get desired consistency!


6 comments:

Evening Shade Morning Latte said...

I was just thinking the other day that I wish I had a good recipe for pump hand soap. Thank you so much for sharing this.

~Warm Cozy Wishes

Evening Shade Morning Latte said...

Carrie,

I made your handsoap but mine never thickened. Question...do I need to let the soap shavings melt completely or just get hot (not boiling) before adding in the Borax? I originally let it melt. Also, do I add in washing soda & borax or is it one or the other? I used Borax solely.

I grated the rest o the bar up and took 4 cups of the soap from the jug to heat it in. I'm going to use Washing soda in place of the Borax this time and add it back to the container. So we'll see how this turns out for me. I will still use it even if it's thin but I would like to see what I'm doing wrong. Hmmmm....

Thanks again!

Oh thanks for the shout out link to my blog. In fact last night I had spot lighted yours on mine. Great minds must think alike! *grin8

~Blessings

Evening Shade Morning Latte said...

Ok the results are in...
I should have followed up on this sooner. My mistake was not that I let it come to a boil, instead it was that I let it heat until most of the soap was melted. So I guess the length in allowing it to "simmer" was just as bad for it as letting it boil.

So once I redid it...it worked wonderfully. So now i know, when you say bring it to temp. you mean "bring it to temp." *grin*

~Blessings

Sandra said...

I made this today at lunch and it has been sitting for 8 hours and is still watery. I added both the washing soda and Borax. Did you mean one or the other? The recipe says both. So I put both. I did not bring it to a boil, but I let it set in the hot water until all the soap was melted.

Amanda said...

I have not tried this yet... however, I do make my own laundry soap... and I am guessing this is the same premise. When you are heating in the pot you can try just the water and the soap, till it is melted, then add the Borax, and the Washing soda, once you take it off the heat... I will try it and let you know how it goes. I would of made tonight, but I don't have any essential oils (yet). Best of luck, and thanks for posting all your great ideas. I have thoroughly enjoyed your blog

Hazel said...

I just became a follower of your I love home made recipes for cleaning supplies .I just now finished making your hand soap it turned out perfectly ,thank you .I have also put a link on my blog back to yours ,these recipes deserve to be shared .

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details