Friday, May 22, 2009

Homemade Hamburger Buns~


I made these buns to serve at my daughter's luncheon today. I just have to elaborate! They were out of this world and very easy! I made a double batch. I served barbecue brisket on them today and I plan on grilling burgers tomorrow for the left overs! You just have to try them!

V's Hamburger Buns

2 c. warm water
5 Tblsp. sugar
1 1/2 Tblsp. yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c oil
5-6 c. flour
1 beaten egg white
1 Tblsp. water
sesame seeds or dried onion flakes

Combine the water, sugar, yeast, salt and oil in a mixing bowl. Add in flour, a cup at a time, until its a nice bread dough that doesn’t stick to the sides.

Transfer to a clean counter top or bread kneading board that has been dusted lightly with flour to keep dough from sticking. Knead for 10 minutes.

Grease a separate bowl to transfer dough once kneaded. Turn once to coat both sides of dough with oil. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.

Punch down and knead the air bubbles out. Divide into 12 pieces for hamburgers or 18 pieces for hot dogs or brats. Roll between hands into correct shapes.

Place on greased cookie sheet for 20 minutes to let rise (hot dog rolls should be squished together so they rise UP and not just out.) 

Carefully brush with mixture of egg white and water and sprinkle with seeds or flakes if desired (flakes are excellent for hamburgers.)

Bake at 400* for 20 minutes or until nicely browned. Let cool 5 minutes and then break apart and move to a cooling rack so the bottoms don’t get soggy.

I found these on my friends site~Evening Shade Morning Latte~pay her a visit!


14 comments:

Miss Jen said...

Oh my..... Carrie!!
These look SO good!
Thank you for sharing the recipe!
I love hamburgers and served on
homemade hamburger buns.... well,
what could be better huh?!

Many Blessings~ Jen

homemadewithlove said...

Thanks for the link back to my blog. I always try to give credit where it is due, and appreciate others that do the same! You have a lovely blog, mind if I add you to my links? Thanks, Jess

The Finicky Frog said...

I've never had a homemade hamburger bun. I'll definitely have to give these a try!

The Finicky Frog said...

I made the hamburger and hotdog buns last night and they were sooooooo good. The hotdog buns looked a little funny but I think with some practice I'll get them perfected! Thank you agian for the recipe!

Amber said...

Hey Carrie - My daughter and I are trying these this morning! I'll have to let you know how they turn out. This is my first time baking homemade buns.

karen hopkins said...

HI Carrie.. You inspired me this morning to do some baking.. I have had a homemade sour dough starter ready to use, so I made 4 large sour dough rounds for some homemade vegetable cheese chowder for our lunch tomorrow.. Smells good as the bread rounds are baking right now. Thanks for the inspiration to grt baking..
Blessings to you!

mommyx12 said...

Oh I am going to try these out for sure. One of my daughters was asking me today when we can get hamburger buns so we can have sloppy joes!! And since I make most of our bread stuff I think I will try this recipe. I tried making buns before but they just didn't quite turn out right. Ended up as a bread pudding.

Tina said...

I'm trying these tonight and I hooe they turn out:) I'm going to use them for french dip sandwiches.

Tina said...

I just wanted to stop by and tell you that I made these the other night and they were wonderful! Thanks for sharing the recipe, it will go in my recipe arsenal for sure!

Anonymous said...

Where do I get the Downy essensial oil for the fabric softener?

Melissa A said...

These are the BEST buns ever! I love them and will never buy store bought buns again! Thanks for sharing!

Tammy said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I am a mom of 8 and make bread on a regular basis. I was looking for a bun recipe to use with sloppy joes and look forward to trying this one today!

SuzieQ said...

I have had your recipe forever and decided to try it. My grandsons are visiting and they decided that these were the "Nana's best bread ever." I just wanted to thank you for sharing your recipies and your blessings.

R.Williams said...

I have made these and they turned out wonderful! My family and friends were so impressed but it really wasn't that difficult. I love your blog and have learned so much. Thanks!

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details