Sunday, July 5, 2009

Farming On Faith's Beginning~


My Brian and I have dreamed of living in the country for many years. Brian would look every time land came up for sale. We didn't want to move to far from town. In the Fall of 2006 we purchased the land where Farming On Faith is now blossoming~about 8 miles out of town.

We met with builders but it was just so much more than our budget allowed~ so we decided to be our own Contractor. My husband has always been able to build, repair or fix anything. How he knows how to do everything~I just don't know. I really had blind trust because He has never let me down.  I should have had some fear~ For I had no idea what we really had got ourselves into! Never in my life was I prepared for the road that was to be ahead of us.
We had one great thing on our side~God. Looking back God taught us so many valuable lessons far greater in value than our new home. We broke ground in June 2007. What great joy that brought. We had been mowing and working on our land up until that time. I remember mowing this 10 acres and thinking~ our new home would never be completed.

We prayed and asked God for His wisdom in making all the thousand and one decisions that we had to make. We decided to go through our Homeschool group first. We had our neighbor and now friend Tim and Jill Marrow do our framing~what a fantastic job they did and it is so nice to have them as neighbors. We did all the jobs that we could do ourselves and we worked and worked and worked. Now I must say My Brian and I are hard workers but we had no idea just how hard the work would be. 
We dug footings in 102 degree heat. We built a retaining wall~which I say is still my least favorite job in the whole entire world. We worked all summer and by late fall the house was enclosed. Our children worked hard too! They learned many lessons that can't be found in any textbook. We worked all of Thanksgiving break and all of Christmas break.We insulated in the freezing cold weather. We had an ice storm and our power was out for 4 days in both houses~our old home and our half finished new home. I was thankful for the storm. We cuddled under blankets and rested. Now that is really bad~it was freezing!

As of early 2008~ our old home had not sold and the housing market was beginning to fall apart. I would love to tell you that we were the tower of faith~but our faith was really being put to the fire. We really did not for- see a big  problem~selling our old home! Our old home was an old historical Queen Ann that was sitting in a well sought after area in town. If we had not built our own home I would have never moved. It was completely restored with a brand new kitchen, wiring and well established yard and in- ground pool. We had people interested in it before we ever even wanted to sell. We finally got a contract and the people changed their minds. It was one crazy story after another.  By now we were terribly worried and money was getting stretched as tight as we were. We were trying too keep a picture perfect three story home in showable condition at all times, build a new home, homeschool and My Brian working full time. Talk about getting on our knees. We were way in over our heads.

The great thing is God taught us both that He is really all we need. We told God we would put both houses up for sale and we placed a For Sale sign in the ground at Farming On Faith. Someone else was going to live in my beautiful home that we had worked so hard to build. Our faith grew beyond measure. God is so good. He had a plan all a long and He was saving our old home for just the couple He wanted to have it! Boy~did we have to apologize to our Heavenly Father. He had it all taken care of and we did all that worrying for naught!

We closed on our other home on August 5, 2008 and moved into our new home~Farming On Faith. 
My Brian named it Farming On Faith~because it truly has been a journey of Faith and we have vowed that it always will be.

































13 comments:

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

A beautiful story, Carrie. Thanks for sharing. Don't we all sometimes wonder what God is up to? Those quiet-God moments can be such a struggle but such a blessing when He reveals His plan.

I'm so glad He's led me to your blog. I feel like it prepares me for my quiet time each day. Have a great day, and thank you for your encouragement.

Sue said...

So enjoyed those pictures, Carrie! We live on ten acres too and do a little farming ourselves. Such fun and simple pleasures! God is good, isn't he?
I really enjoyed your photos of the progress of your home build. It reminded me so much of our first farming efforts we did when we lived in Texas. We had bought a piece of property and built a lovely home there. I would do it again.
I am so happy for your little farm and the blessings that have come your way.
Much happiness is being sent to you this fine day!

In Christ,
Sue

Walking on Sunshine... said...

What a beautiful story of the building of your home! I love the pictures showing the progress. Very nice. Cannot imagine mowing 10 acres!!! Your house is beautiful and your family is just as beautiful!

Alex and Ashley said...

Love the new background Mom

Keeper of our Home said...

The new look is so beautiful and feminine. I love it! This was such a great post. I loved seeing the progress of your home. It's a beauty!

~Mrs. M

Kellie said...

Wow! That is an awesome story! And thanks for including the start-to-finish pictures....such a beautiful home!

Jackie said...

That is a great story and you have a beautiful home. Thanks for sharing!

Leigh said...

This post brings back so many memories of building the home we're in now. Maybe one day I will also tell our story on my blog. It was a trial and testing like I've never known before or since.

AngelRhoden said...

Great reminder that the Lord has control no matter how our heads may be swimming in chaos. Your home is beautiful. May it be filled with His blessings!

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

Your home is beautiful Carrie. We have similar tastes... I love those roof lines and we installed french doors right around,when we built our extension... yes, my husband is very good at all these tasks too! Funnily enough, I have just published a post about my son's homeschool journey and there are pictures of him helping to build our home. I've even used the same phrases as you in describing our journey! 'God is on our side!' He surely is! Right at this moment, my son is in Thailand building a house in a leper colony... WOW! God was preparing him, everything happens for a reason.

We are the Smith Family said...

What a beautiful story...thank you for sharing!!!!! God is so very good!

Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

I love this post and am so impressed by your family's group efforts! What a beautiful journey and outcome. Thanks for the inspiration. We are STILL working on our old farmhouse and it helps to see and hear other's stories...
hugs,
Leslie

Lynn said...

What a beautiful Faith building story! (No pun intended. ; D ) Seriously....though......I marvel. Thanks for sharing. Truly inspirational for us all. No matter what it is that we are building in our lives.

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details