Monday, August 3, 2009

Funnel Cakes~ For Breakfast


Summer break at the Shindorf home is almost over................... all to soon it is coming to an end.
I just love summer and all the fun that comes with it. 

 My Mom was a single Mother and money was tight. I remember a few occasions we would take a vacation to Branson, Mo on summer break. Funnel cakes to this day remind me of some fun times with my mom, my sister and my baby brother.

This morning I decided to make funnel cakes for breakfast~we topped them with powdered sugar and some of my raspberry freezer jam. They were oh so good! 

Funnel Cake


Ingredients:

1 egg
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder



Directions:


1. In a deep skillet, heat about two cups of oil over medium-high heat until hot. Test the temperature by dropping a pinch of flour into the hot oil. If it sizzles right away without smoking, it's perfect.

2. Beat egg and milk. Mix all other ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly add to the egg mixture, beating until smooth. I always sift the flour and dry ingredients first.

3. Using a funnel, drop into hot oil working from center outwards in a web pattern. (You can use a gallon sized freezer bag instead of a funnel by pouring the batter into the bag, snipping off a small corner of it, and squeezing the batter into the oil.)

4. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, remove from the oil when golden brown and crispy.

5. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.



10 comments:

mrshester said...

Oh boy! Fair season is creeping up us around here and this is probably the thing I love most about fairs...funnel cakes!! Is it a good thing that I now have a recipe for them? Probably not, but I thank you anyway! LOL

Elle Bee said...

Oh delicious Carrie! I love to have breakfast for dinner, so why not have dessert for breakfast? HA! Actually, I don't think funnel cakes can be classified as dessert--they're just an "anytime" treat. You know what? I never knew why they were called funnel cakes--now I do!
Linda

Domestic Goddess said...

My Hubby loves funnel cakes. This will be a fun treat tonight for dessert! Thanks so much for the recipe. I also want to add that I really enjoy your blog and it is a daily inspiration. Because of your blog, I have started reading my Bible.

Amber said...

Oh yummy! I LOVE funnel cake. I just missed our local folk festival and, subsequently, my annual enjoyment of funnel cake. Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try for sure!

LDH said...

Hello! Just stopping by for the first time from Lois's blog. I haven't made funnel cake in ages. Yours look perfect! Sweet place you have here :)
Kindly, ldh

The Watts Family said...

Now thats a breakfast!!~ mmmmmmmmmm sounds fantastic ~Blessings Heather

April said...

I think we will have to try these this week while we have family visiting...

Flat Creek Farm said...

Yikes, I'm trying not to look at that delish picture and recipe :) But I will save it for my 'free day' on an upcoming Sunday. Funnel cakes are wonderful. We have been to Branson many many times thru the years. It was where we spent our honeymoon 30 yrs ago. One time in 'the early days' I bought a funnel cake kit there. When I think back on it, it seems so silly! A funnel and a bag of mix! :) -Tammy

steph the plumber said...

Just come across this blog for funnel cakes, they look really nice.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Woohoo! I'd like breakfast at your house!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details