Saturday, September 18, 2010

Hot Caramel Dip~ Published In Mary Engelbreit's New Cookbook




Well ready or not Autumn is here.  The Bible is sure accurate when it reads~


James 4:14

 14Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away
Time has a way of slipping by without us noticing if we are not careful. The older I get the more I realize just how important it is to cherish each and every moment. The little things are the most important in our lives.
It is so hard to believe that this is my 19Th year of homeschooling. Each and every September that I can remember I would load my children up in and we would head over the bridge to Kansas to the Jones Orchard. We would be greeted by Mrs. Jones in her cute bonnet. She was the farm grandmother type and such a delight to visit with. She would remember our names and make our day with her smile. She sold her goods for only pennies and you could pick a 5 gallon pail of apples for only $5.00. Pumpkins would be in a 50 cent pile, a dollar pile or a two dollar pile. We would buy squash of every kind. The whole back of our car would be piled high. Apple picking day was such a delight to us. I would always make this dip on that day to celebrate the beginning of many apple family favorites that would be in store on the Shindorf table for that Fall season.


Here is our favorite Crockpot Hot Apple Dip~ This recipe will be featured in the  new Mary Engelbreit ~Winter 2010/2011 Cookbook. It will be on sale the first part of November. I am so excited to get my autographed copy! It looks wonderful from what I have seen of it so far!


1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk


Mix together all ingredients and put in crockpot on low. Cook for about 3 hours! Enjoy~ 


My favorite sayings are~ "We are making memories."  and " Cherish the moment."
We just never know when our last day on earth will be or how long we will have those we love. So~ I think it is so important to live every day as if it could be our last. Little did we know~ the  year before last  was the last time we will get to have our favorite~Apple Picking Day! Mr. Jones has suffered a stroke and Mrs. Jones has cancer. Now don't be sad for them. They are saved~born again Christians and have their reservations made for a Homecoming in Heaven. I am sure they will find the Apple Trees first!  But~would you please remember to say a prayer for them and their family. We will surely miss them and the love they spread through their beloved little Orchard.
Although we will have to find another place to pick our apples ~it will never be the same. I will cherish our time at the Jones Orchard forever and hold the memories in my heart! Mr. and Mrs. Jones you both are in our hearts and prayers!



11 comments:

Jenn @ A Country Girl's Ramblings said...

What wonderful memories! I will definitely be making your carmel dip. It sounds delicious!

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

Sweet memory and post! I'm welcoming September with open arms!

Thankful heart said...

Your caramel dip sounds delicious but I'm not sure what corn syrup is here in the uk do we maybe call it maple syrup???????? Jo

The Watts Family said...

thats sounds great !! Thanks for sharing :D

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

And for us here in Australia it is the first day of spring! Instead of apples on the tree, I have blossom. We rescued a sick koala off the road last month (our second koala rescue!) and the lady from the wildlife rescue organization has just phoned to say she is bringing the koala out this morning to release it on our property which is its natural habitat... that will be so exciting for the children. When we hear the male koalas bellowing (they sound like wild pigs!)we know the breeding season has arrived. They keep us awake at night!

Nichole said...

That apple dip sounds so good! I'll be trying it once the honeycrisp apples are ready.

It is amazing how quickly time passes. It seems to go faster every year.

Diana said...

Oh my. That dip sounds wonderful! I WILL be making it.

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

Hi Carrie,
Thanks for the email. Re: the corn syrup which is made mainly from fructose rather than glucose (not good for you -sorry!) Golden syrup could substite but I personally would not use either of these sweeteners as they are overly refined. Maple syrup would be the healthier option but would it be too thin for this recipe? I occasionally buy good maple syrup (very expensive here) and it combines well with apple flavours and is great for making applesauce! Some maple syrups makers do use formaldehyde in the production process so check the source!
BTW the koala has been delivered and is sitting halfway up a gum tree not far from my house!

Miss Jen said...

Happy September to you, dear Carrie!
That apple dip sounds amazing!!!

Lots of Love~ Jen

Thankful heart said...

Carrie thanks for the substitute we do have golden syrup which we use over here to make "candy apples" so it may be something similar. By the way I think I may have worded my post wrongly ~ it's not my first grandchild it's my 9th lol!!!!!!! Jo

Tanya said...

What wonderful memories you have for your family! How sweet! And what a wonderful story for the rest of us. Prayers for the Jones indeed. The dip sounds so good and I just bought a bag of apples! YUM! Would much rather go pick them though!!
Have a glorious Saturday and Lord's Day tomorrow.

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details