Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Roasted Cherry Tomatoes~




I am still preserving our Garden Harvest! I have cherry tomatoes by the baskets. I do not want to waste and I have been sharing but it seems most people here are getting weary of tomatoes. 
Here is is wonderful way to preserve your cherry tomatoes. They are so good let me tell you. You will want to pop some in your mouth.

Cherry, grape or small Roma tomatoes
Whole gloves of garlic, unpeeled
Olive oil
Italian seasonings and kosher salt

Preheat oven to 225°F. Halve each cherry or grape tomato crosswise, or Roma tomato lengthwise and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet along with the cloves of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, just enough to make the tomatoes glisten. Sprinkle herbs on them and a little Kosher salt.

Bake the tomatoes in the oven for about three hours. You want the tomatoes to be shriveled and dry, but with a little juice left inside–this could take more or less time depending on the size of your tomatoes.

Either use them right away or let them cool, cover them with some extra olive oil and keep them in the fridge for the best summer condiment, ever. They are wonderful on salads! I have placed mine in freezer bags to have for the winter when we are not tomatoed out!

12 comments:

Flat Creek Farm said...

Carrie, you are a lifesaver! These sound perfect, and I won't have to drag the canner out. I'll bet they are just as good as sundried tomatoes. Yum, I can taste them now. Thanks so much - you made my day with this. You always have such wonderful, useful posts! Blessings, Tammy

This Country Girl said...

Carrie, you have the best recipes! These make my mouth water just looking at them! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to try it!

Tammy

Twyla and Lindsey said...

This is great! Thanks! Have a blessed day. Twyla

Happy@Home said...

Mmmm... they look delicious. I have never tried this before, but you have inspired me to give it a try. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

I preserved my cherry tomatoes in this way last summer and they were fantastic. Wonderful spread on pizzas. I used my oregano(grows like a weed in my herb garden!)as the main seasoning. All your summer harvest posts are making me so look forward to the summer... thank you for all the inspiration Carrie!

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Oh I wish our tomatoes came this year!! They were totally washed out in the rain and developed a nasty mildew and are gone. That recipe looks really yummy!!

Elle Bee said...

Thanks for sharing this great idea for tomatoes! When the tomatoes start arriving, I need all the recipes I can get to go through them. That concentrated tomato flavor would be great in a lot of recipes.
Elle

Christa said...

sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipe Carrie. I think I'll try these.

Christa

Michelle said...

I just happened to have a big bowl of cherry tomatoes from my garden on the kitchen counter, wondering what to do with them...thanks to you, they are now in the oven! Can't wait til they are done!

Domestic Goddess said...

Oh they look good!

The Watts Family said...

Those look fabulous thanks for sharing I tried the squash casserole it was great we all loved it except my one son you spent a long time at the dinner table until he finished it hehehehe! ;D Blessings Heather

Dalyn (AKA The Queen of Quite Alot) said...

mmmmmmm...that looks good! I don't have tons of tomatoes- poor soil and terrible wind! But I'm going to get some from a local farmer and try these out. Thanks!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details