Saturday, September 19, 2009

Apple Picking Time~But Which Kind Should I Pick?





Fall~the apple-picking season is here. Whether you pick your own or you buy them at the store it can be confusing~with so many varieties available. I want apples to eat, to bake with and to can. We added four more trees to our orchard last night~two being apple. That inspired me to do a study~here is a  easy apple guide.
  • For eating straight from the basket, crisp, juicy, and tangy varieties are best. Red Delicious is the most popular eating apple, but if you prefer a denser, tarter snack, try a Granny Smith, or a softer-fleshedMcIntosh. Or check out the distinctive tastes of local farm varieties likeNewton, Pippin, Macoun, or Sweet Sixteen.
  • To make applesauceMcIntosh is moist and flavorful. Cortlands andBraeburns also make good choices.
  • When bakingRome apples are recommended because they hold their shape well. You can also try Fuijis, which are sweeter, wetter, and have a spicy flavor.
  • In pies, a mix of apples is best. Include Golden Delicious for sweetness and good shape, a tart apple like Granny Smith, and some flavorful varieties like Pippin, Winesap, Crispin and Jonagold.To check out the entire world of apple varieties and usage, as well as delicious recipes, click here.
When I get apples I love to display them in a pretty bowl on the counter or table. But that is not a wise choice! If you keep your apples in the refrigerator they will last 10 times longer. Although apple bowls are beautiful~they will not keep your apples crispy for long if you leave them on the countertop.
The old saying~ "An apple a day, keeps the Doctor away" is really true! Go here to learn all the health benefits from eating a least one apple a day.

Psalm 17:8

 Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings,


Proverbs 25:11 

 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.

9 comments:

Christina said...

My favorite are McIntosh! Yum!

Christa said...

Hi Carrie,
I wish I could go apple picking with you! :)How fun! Thanks for the nutritional/health information on apples it was very helpful. I just ordered a couple bushels through our local coop. I can't wait to can and eat them.

christa

blushing rose said...

G'morn, Carrie ~ The best apple EVER!! for both baking & simply eating is the Gravenstein which is an old species & not easy to find. It has the perfect sweet/tart to it. Until you've eaten one, you'll never know the heaven of apples.

Have a great & enjoyable weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

Amy said...

Red Delicious from the fridge have always been my favorite! Taking a bite and having the juice drip down your arm... it's the best!

Domestic Goddess said...

I just picked up apples yesterday. I can't decide what to make first. Pie, dumplings, sauce, butter... To many ideas to list. Where to start....

Sue said...

I do love picking apples. We have three trees in our back yard, but since I didn't plant them, I really do not know what type they are. I just know that the red ones are great for pies! And yes, it's that time again. As my husband and I were cleaning in the yard today, we were talking about how wonderful it will be to smell the home made apple pies once again!
Have a blessed weekend!

Jenn @ A Country Girl's Ramblings said...

Apples are one of my most favorite fruits! LOVE them! I am looking forward to making applesauce in a couple of weeks.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

We stopped at a farm stand on Saturday and purchased some delicious apples. And my son made me feel so guilty by saying that we haven't been apple picking in years. Which is true. The last time we went it was so hot, probably in the high 80's. The apples were awful. It was so crowded. And that was about 5 years ago. Hubby and I promised him we would take him in a few weeks. But I'm waiting for cooler weather this time. Great list of apples! Enjoy your day!

UPON A HILL said...

I love honeycrisp. I also love Psalm 17:8, knowing that I am the apple of HIS eye.

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details