Saturday, October 3, 2009

Happy Harvest Moon~Tonight

Hello Friends~
I am still here ~I think. It has been such a busy week. I enjoyed my time away and on our way home My Brian surprised me with lunch at a Mennonite Restaurant. It will be a must stop now each time we go through Versailles, Missouri. Oh~ such a sweet treat it was. It was like eating at Grandmas. They had the most amazing cinnamon swirl bread with a wonderful icing. I am still dreaming about it. We then found a new branch of Amish and I stocked my pantry at their huge scratch and dint store. It was a wonderful end to a great time away. The Amish meal is my favorite in all the world~oh so good! I have been to many fine restaurants but none compare to Amish cooking!

I managed to get our booth filled at the Rusty Chandelier but have so many candle orders needing to be filled. That will have to wait until Monday for tomorrow is the Lord's day and I am exhausted.

I promised I would post this recipe that I served at my Mom's Night Out~it was so good. Better late than never my friends who are waiting. Sorry I am so late.

Apple Valley Cider Stew~
1 T all-purpose flour
1 t. allspice
1/2 t. pepper
1/4 t. garlic powder
1 lb. stew beef cubed
3 T. oil
1 to 2 c. apple cider
2T. catsup
3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 onions, chopped

Place flour and seasonings in a large bowel. Coat each piece of beef, cook in oil over medium heat until browned. Stir in cider and catsup. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for one hour to one and a half hours or until tender. Add vegetables and cook until tender about 30 minutes.

Just a heads up~ A Pumpkin shortage! There is a canned pumpkin shortage this Holiday season. I thought I would out smart the rush. I wasn't so smart after all. I could not find a can of pumpkin in any grocer~so much for stocking up. I am going to buy several pumpkins and store them in my basement for Holiday baking. You can also use butternut squash in most pumpkin recipes. Here is an easy way to cook pumpkin that I found on E-how.com. I can honestly say this will be my first time cooking my pumpkins. Canned pumpkin is just so easy. There is a first time for everything!

    Cooking the Pumpkin Flesh

  1. Step1

    Cut the whole pumpkin into several large pieces.

  2. Step2

    Place the pieces in a large roasting pan skin side up.

  3. Step3

    Fill the roasting pan with one inch of water. Cover the roasting pan.

  4. Step4

    Cook the pumpkin for 30 minutes or until the pumpkin flesh is soft when pierced with a fork.

  5. Step5

    Remove the roasting pan from the oven. Place the cooked pumpkin on a baking sheet or plate to cool.

  6. Step6

    Peel skin off of the cooled pumpkin with a knife. Cut the cooked pumpkin into small chunks and mash with a potato masher to use for baking.


    Hope you are enjoying your view of the harvest moon. I too ~am enjoying the view of the beautiful harvest moon in front a warm glowing fire.

    Good Night my blogging friends~


10 comments:

Jenn @ A Country Girl's Ramblings said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Oh dear, I didn't know about the canned pumpking shortage. EEEK! We planted some pumpkins, but not the baking variety. If I can't find canned in the grocery then I will have to see if any of the Amish farms around here are selling baking pumpkins. Thanks for the heads up.

The Watts Family said...

Wow thanks for the pumpkin shortage info if I see any I will be sure to grab a can~ Blessings Heather :D

Amy said...

I have three big cans of pumpkin from last year...lucky me, huh? hee hee...

Sue said...

Great post. Glad you had a nice time away. We were down in southwest Michigan yesterday and ran into several Amish. They are interesting people. I'll just bet they have no fears of economic hard times being that they are always prepared anyway. Something to learn from.

christschild said...

Hello, I'm Elizabeth and I am new to your blog...I love it. I also love the music. I am a big Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby fan. I'm also gonna have to try out that recipe...it looks delicious. Nice to "meet" you. Have a blessed day:)

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

I heard about the shortage on the news so I guess I will be stocking up too and cooking up the pumpkins I use for decorations. Tastes so much better anyways. Glad you had a nice time! Love the harvest moon!

Mrs. P. said...

My dear friend's husband is a Pumpkin (and melon farmer) and she said there is a shortage of fresh this year too. Not a good pumpkin year all around. Smart to stock up when we can.

Oh, and I LOVE amish/mennonite cooking. I think I have every cookbook devoted to their recipes. My favorite cookbook author is Marcia Adams. Great food!!

Blessings!
Gail

Camille said...

Lovely picture of the moon...gorgeous! Your stew recipe sounds intriguing...I may just try that! :) How ambitious of you to cook your own pumpkin!! Have a wonderful week!
Blessings,
Camille

Miss Jen said...

Bless you dear Carrie! :)
This stew sounds fabulous *sigh*

Love Always in Christ~ Miss Jen

Walking on Sunshine... said...

A shortage?? Of my FAVORITE ingredient for my FAVORITE pie?? I need to get some this week!

Glad you enjoyed your time with your hubby at the restaurant!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details