Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Last Rung Of The Ladder~


I have fallen in love with my chickens.  I have posted their baby pictures once again so maybe you would understand while a perfectly normal woman fell in love with chickens. I received my chicks just hours old~ in the mail of all things. They had no Momma Chick~so naturally that job fell to me. They are so much fun yet they eat all my flowers. I had to put baby gates on my deck when I let them out to free range so they do not leave me messes on my porch. I have keep an eye on them so they do not wonder to far from home. They dig up all my mulch and throw it on the side walk.  They have taken over my herb garden for their dust bathing. They are kind of like my real chicks who take much attention, love and care. I have to make sure the coyotes and fox do not make of meal of my girls. Needless to say~I was asking My Brian on our date night last night~ "You knew me and the fact that anything I raise from hours old~why did you let me get chickens?" This is my dilemma!

Lilly~AKA Sami Bird has no neck like the others. She is special because chickens need their neck to run and walk. Its a funny thing. Sami just spreads her wings and flies everywhere. Her feathers go every which way in a funky sort of way. I love Sami Bird~she is special. However the other birds are not friends with Sami Bird because of her being different. Don't get me wrong~I think she is the smartest girl of them all. The others will not let her eat first so she has learned to be patient~she just waits! The other's have an attention disorder~when they get distracted which they do so quickly~she always gets the best treats. I just feel so bad for her~and I keep my eye out.  Sometimes the others peck at her for no reason~but she shows no signs that they are hurting her. This saying we have heard about pecking order is really true! Yet she has become the swiftest of them all!  Just try and catch her when she does not want to be caught! 

What really has me bothered is their roosting habits at night. My Brian made them a ladder in their house for which they all roost on at night. There are 12 girls and 5 rungs. You can tell who rules the roost by who sleeps on the the top rung and down the line it goes. Friends sleep together! Which is really kind-of cool except for Sami. No one will let her sleep with them~so she is always by her self on the bottom rung of the ladder! 

 It has rained for several days here and they say that chickens have sense to come in out of the rain. Someone forgot to tell my girls that. My son thinks I have spoiled them so rotten that they do not know how to behave like chickens! I have lined their coop with straw for the winter. And they fluff their wings out to trap air inside to keep them warm. The only problem is~wet wings don't fluff out. Can someone tell me why they won't come in out of the rain? Silly birds! Wet cold chickens get sick easy and then that is a whole other story!  Anyway~ they have been wet and cold. So all night I worried about poor Sami not getting warm all by herself on the last rung of the ladder.  

Sami~just days old



Sami~on the last rung!
Friends~

My Sami Bird~

13 comments:

blushing rose said...

They grew quickly ... I always had a wee nervousness around them ... Have a great weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

Flat Creek Farm said...

I always love your chicken posts! I hope to have some sweet baby chicks next Spring too. Yours are just adorable! -Tammy

The Watts Family said...

They got big fast! Loved the baby pictures so cute ~Enjoy your chicks Blessings Heather ;D

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I didn't get mine till they were a few weeks old, so I don't have quite the attachment you do! "But....mine behave in exactly the same way, and the silly things will NOT come in out of the rain either!

Sandra said...

I LOVE my chickens too! They are SO cute when they are little. They do make a mess and they do get in my flowers too, but I would rather have the chickens than a well manicured flower garden.

Miss Jen said...

Adorable!!! :)
They are SO cute... ;0

Love~ Miss Jen

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

I always got attached to my chickens too, so easy to do! I love your fonts, where did you find them?

The Finicky Frog said...

Psalm 84:3
Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young— a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God.

I think this could be your little Sami too!
God Bless!
Heather

Mocha Vee said...

Carrie,

Thanks for your advice! I was just wondering if you were raised to wear skirts only, or was it your decision? If you've always worn skirts,did you ever doubt that it was what God wanted?

MochaVee

Patty said...

I'm thinking people and chickens have something in common. I know a "Sami" and I think "Sami" is pretty special too! I like the verse Heather shared (Psalm 84:3). I think your Sami Bird has a good home. In your words, I hear your heart.

Domestic Goddess said...

Chickens love being out in the rain. I don't know why. my goats won't come out in the rain, my dog won't get off the porch if it's raining, but the chickens are out there. We also have roosts inside the hen house and outside . They roost outside. This winter when we had -14 degrees nights, I ran out to check on them thinking I would have popsicle chickens. They were perfectly fine! And they layed great all winter!

Gae said...

How I wish we could have chickens.
As soon as we move we are hoping to set up a heap of self sufficiency animals and gardening.
I am just a little envious
God Bless

The Pauls' Family said...

I think chickens are a hoot! (Or is that owls :)We just have the plain brown ones though.....but they still entertain me time and time again :)

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details