Friday, September 3, 2010

Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Pie~


This is a really good recipe~Just like the Amish make it!


PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH APPLE PIE


7-10 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
Place sliced apples in 9 inch unbaked pie shell. Mix and sprinkle over apples:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water (or fresh lemon juice if you have it) over top.
CRUMB CRUST:
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 stick butter
Mix together sugar and flour. Cut the butter into the sugar and flour mixture using a fork, pastry blender or food processor.
Sprinkle over top of pie.
Bake at 400°F for 40-45 minutes. If the pie begins to brown too rapidly, cover lightly with foil.
Served every Fall in Pennsylvania Dutch country. A combination of green (such as Granny Smith) and red (such as Cortland or Mcintosh) works best. A few drops of vanilla can be mixed into sugar.












8 comments:

christschild said...

This looks yummy...can't wait to try it out. Thank you.

Jenn @ A Country Girl's Ramblings said...

I make a pie very similar to this and it is one of my families favorites. Yum! Yum!

Domestic Goddess said...

Here's another Pa Dutch apple tart. Pie crust, equal amounts of sugar and flour poured in the bottom. add a bit of water to make a thick goop. Press apple halves into goop, sprinkle with cinnamon and dot with butter. Bake at 375 until apples are soft and "goop" is set. My father came from Pa Dutch background. He even spoke the language. I wish I could have learned.

JAMIE ANN said...

I LOVE THAT ONE! MY MIL GAVE THAT TO ME WHEN I MET MY HUSBAND. THIS IS HIS FAV PIE AND SO EASY TO MAKE..GREAT TIME OF THE YEAR. LOVE READING YOUR BLOG. YOU ARE MY IDEA OF WHAT I WANT TO BE AS I GROW AND MATURE IN THE LORD, WITH MY HUSBAND AND KIDS. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR GREAT BLOG.

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

Can't go wrong with good ole apple pie!

Alex and Ashley said...

Momma!!!!!! Must you post these yummy recipes? I am trying to stay away from sugar... part of my immune boosting obsession... but I have been caving the last week or so...

Miss Jen said...

YUM.... this sounds DELICIOUS! =)
Hope you are savoring the delights of this marvelous season!

Love~ Jen

cindy said...

When do you have the time???
You amaze me!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details