Thursday, November 19, 2009

Homemade Easy Bake Oven Mixes~ Frugal Gift Idea

"English Christmas Pudding on Silver Plate" Photographic Print

I remember when my girls wanted an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas. The mixes were more expensive than the toy. Here is a homemade version of The Chocolate Cake Mix and Frosting. If you have an Easy Bake Oven to buy this Christmas ~make your own mixes and place them in festive cello bags!

Easy Bake Oven Chocolate Cake Mix~
1 cup of sugar
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup of vegetable shortening

In a medium bowl combine sugar, cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening  until it resembles corn meal. Store in airtight container and use within 12 weeks.

To Use:
1 cup of mix
5-6 tsp. water

Mix together and pour into greased and floured pan. Follow Easy Bake Oven directions.

Easy Bake  Chocolate or White Frosting~
2 cups powered sugar
3 Tbsp. dry milk
1/2 cup cocoa
6 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
In bowl, combine first three ingredients. Next cut in shortening. Store in airtight container. Use within 12 weeks.
For white frosting omit the cocoa.

To Use:
1 cup of mix
2-21/2 tsp. water

Mix with a fork.


4 comments:

Keeper of our Home said...

Great mix recipes!

~Mrs. M

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

Thanks Carrie, I was thinking of getting one of my grand daughters a Easy bake oven for Christmas, brings back fond memories!

Camille said...

What a terrific idea to make your own mixes!! Well done! I had SO MUCH FUN with my easy bake oven when I was a little girl...I've been tempted to buy one for our girl...BUT those mixes...they have scared me off! I will have to bookmark this one until such a time as an easy bake oven makes it into our home. Thank you!! :)

Blessings,
Camille

The Watts Family said...

Oh my children would love this ~Blessings Heather

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details