Monday, November 25, 2013

Thoughts For Thanksgiving Week




"Even if something is left undone, 
everyone must take time to sit still 
and watch the leaves turn."

-   Elizabeth Lawrence

"I am rich today with autumn's gold,
All that my covetous hands can hold;

Frost-painted leaves and goldenrod,
A goldfinch on a milkweed pod,
Huge golden pumpkins in the field
With heaps of corn from a bounteous yield,
Golden apples heavy on the trees
Rivaling those of Hesperides,
Golden rays of balmy sunshine spread
Over all like butter on warm bread;
And the harvest moon will this night unfold
The streams running full of molten gold.
Oh, who could find a dearth of bliss
With autumn glory such as this!"

-   Gladys Harp


"Over the river and through the wood,
To grandfather's house we go;
The horse knows the way
To carry the sleigh,
Through the white and drifted snow."
-   

Lydia Maria Child, Thanksgiving Day, 1845 
"Over the river and through the wood
Oh, how the wind does blow!

It stings the toes
And bites the nose,
As over the ground we go.
Over the river and through the wood
To have a first-rate play.
Hear the bells ring,
Ting-a-ling-ling!
Hurrah for Thanksgiving Day!"
-   Linda Maria Child, Over the River

My ~oh ~my ~
Ready or not here comes Thanksgiving! 

Colossians 4:2 

 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;

Hebrews 13:15 
 By him therefore let us offer the
 sacrifice of praise to God continually,
 that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name

Billy Graham wrote, "Ingratitude is a sin, just as surely as is lying or stealing or immorality or any other sin condemned by the Bible." He then quoted Romans 1:21, one of the Bible's indictments against rebellious humanity. Then Dr. Graham added, "Nothing turns us into bitter, selfish, dissatisfied people more quickly than an ungrateful heart. And nothing will do more to restore contentment and the joy of our salvation than a true spirit of thankfulness."


I have to admit my calender looks like a scribbled up mess. It is such a busy time of year. I am on my way to spend the week with my Washington babies~ all of them! But we must slow down and think about all we have to be thankful for in the busyness of it all!

Hope you all have fun in the journey as you prepare for a busy week! I will be back soon! I have babies to smooch and cooking to do! 










11 comments:

Frugal Home Living w/ the Keeper of our Home said...

Such a lovely post. Thanks for sharing.

~Mrs. M

smileymamaT said...

I really liked the poetry, especially the part where rays of sunshine are spreading like warm butter... :) and I too love the idea of an old-fashioned Christmas. Our mother used to put an orange at the bottom of our stockings, with stories of how it used to be, that nuts and fruits were cherished gifts. I also miss those days, and think that lots of folks (myself too)are steering back towards them.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

While I began reading your post, I was thinking about your little grandson coming this month and how thankful you truly must be this year! Hoping you get all accomplished on your list and enjoy a wonderful visit with your daughter and her family!! Of course, you'll post pictures!!! I hope!!! Enjoy your Sunday!

Denise said...

What a lovely reminder of what this month should be all about :-)

Miss Jen said...

Indeed! :)
Happy November to you~ dear sister
in the Lord!!! :) Beautiful post!!
What a blessing to have your
grand baby on the way!

*hugs*
With Much Love~ Miss Jen

christschild said...

I love this post. I too think of the old days. I agree that in todays time we don't slow down as much as we should. We're always so busy. But, when we slow down and think about it...we have God and our family and friends. Those are the important things in life. We should all slow down and count our blessings and live life...not rush through it. Thank you for reminding me of this. Have a blessed day.

The Watts Family said...

What it's November?? Really?? WOW!! Where did October go and how does time just fly by ~Praying you have a peaceful and purposeful November~Enjoyed your post~Blessings Heather ;D

Camille said...

Such an exciting time for your family as you anticipate the arrival of your new little grandson!!

I LOVE the thought of the "good old days"...when time moved a little more slowly and our long ago relatives knew how to enjoy "togetherness". It seems we get so caught up in the "entertaining" we forget the reason we are gathering together. It is about the Lord and fellowship with one another. Thanks for the reminder!

Blessings,
Camille

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Carrie, my dear invisible friend, I am grateful for you. You encourage me so much through your blog; thank you.

What an exciting time for your family knowing there will be a new little someone this month! I am happy for all of you.

Thank you for your online friendship.

Sandra said...

I agree. We too have decided to try and find more ways to enjoy each other and things to do for neighbors instead of all the fun stuff we usually do. We will still do fun things, but we want to incorporate more time with people around us. We are also doing more simple gifts. A man at our church said one time that we need 364 days to be thankful and one day to gripe. That is a good point. We only have one day set out of the entire year to be thankful, yet God tells us to be thankful for everything and to enter his gates with thanksgiving. The world is not thankful and too many times it influences us as Christians.

Dianna said...

Glad you are off to smooch those babies! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Carrie!

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details