Thursday, January 14, 2010

Life Gets Messy~

Here I am this morning at Farming On Faith. I went to feed my girls this morning and guess what I found. A BIG MESS. With warm temps my chicken coop had defrosted. You guessed it chicken poo, mud, and muck. I walked into the girl's house and my handy, dandy chicken farmer boots squished. Well one thing you must know about keeping healthy chickens is they must stay dry.NO~this just will not do!

My Brian bought me a big roll of straw but it is frozen.We have been putting it in the coop but it appears that frozen straw when it is defrosted is a soggy mess. Not to mention the girls staying inside the coop for the past month with freezing temps. This picture does not really clearly show you my big mess!
I decided to run to the Tractor Supply for pine bedding. The wet straw is just not going to work. So I ran to town with no make-up and in my chicken farmer boots. What a sight I must have been. I was assuring myself farmers at the Tractor Supply Store would be to busy to notice or care~Right?




Nosey girls watching from above~


I raked. I shoveled. I bleached. I scraped. I did all this for about an hour. As I have shared before being a chicken farmer is not for the squeamish~that's for sure. Although I am not squeamish in the least I wore disposable gloves all the same!
I am trying to clean here~but they all wanted to see what I was up to.
They wanted to be in my way!

This would be handy~dandy chicken poo. Any ideas on what I can do with chicken poo?
Layla was in one of the nesting boxes squawking because she was laying her egg for the day. She refused to get out but she was yelling at me the whole time. They are very modest about laying~they would rather no one watch ~Momma Chicken or siblings are not welcome to observe. I guess I can understand!






Layla finally lays her egg but still refuses to leave. Nope she wants to sit on her egg.
That is fine and dandy but they all want to lay in the same box for some reason. They have four nesting boxes. Sadie wanted to lay her egg too. So they argued and fused for awhile. I tried to referee but to no avail. Sadie finally jumps in with her and lays her egg in seconds and jumps out. No fooling around for her.
What is the reward for all my work? A clean coop~happy girls and two eggs. What more could a girl ask for? Maybe a bubble bath!!!!!

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my this post makes me so miss my girls. I do love the pine bedding so much better than the straw.

Domestic Goddess said...

Save your chicken poo! Add it to your compost heap or if you didn't start one it's a good start. Mix in other compost items like your coffee grounds, potato skins and other veggie stuff you can't feed to the girls. Chicken poo is high in Nitrogen and good for the garden but it has to sit awhile because fresh chicken poo on garden plants or flowers will fry your plants.

Patty said...

Yea, I'm afraid I'd be a bit squeamish, but your finished coop looks nice and dry for your chicks.

Camille said...

Wow Carrie ~ You did all that AND got pictures to boot! :) At least your nails are polished! ;-)

Have a lovely day!
Camille

Mandie said...

I love chickens!! We have 11 and they are great pets. And yes it is not a easy clean job to care for them, tehe. But they reward us with yummy eggs and great personalities. Yesterday one of my Banties flew on top of my head. She is sooo stinking friendly! We keep our hay in the garage but we don't have many chickens so we just buy the small bales. And the chicken pooh goes right into the compost pile, hay and all. Things are still frozen here. I can't wait for spring...

MyJourneyBack said...

Oh what a great mama you are. And they even gave you a nice gift for all your efforts. Don't worry the sun will be out soon. I don't know what to do with the pooh. Can it go on a garden plot? I am hoping that soon I'll be writing you for advice. Hope I get my own little flock of ladies this spring. Come on Spring.
BTW I love the little hearts.
Have a Blessed Day,
Sherry

Crystal said...

Oh Carrie,
I am sitting here laughing, but at the same time wanting to cry for you. I been there done that, all last winter. Plus where we had the coop was an ice skating rink. So with wind gust, ice and muck,I decided to give my chicks up. At least until we find a better spot for the coop. Plus, I had 25 to begin with, went to 18, still too many unless you are selling the eggs. The borough laws here are goofy about that????
We went to pine bedding in the late winter also. Easier to spread, less time and less mess. I think it also absorbs more.

Oh by the way, put your poo and straw in a pile, so come spring you can spread it in your garden.
Have a blessed day!

April said...

Been there, done that. It gets gross during winter and wet weather. We switched to pine shavings from straw--easier to clean up. Also, if you lay large cardboard peices or scrap peices of roof tin down, you can pull it out to change or hose off weekly.
Cute gals!

The Watts Family said...

Whoa that is a big mess!! Looks like you got it all cleaned up good thing you had those rubber boots ~Blessings Heather :)

Regan Family Farm said...

You are a real farm girl! So far, I have my children do the nasty work and I help with birthing (THAT I'm good at). I wonder what will happen to me in the future when all my workers are gone...I'm comin' to live by you, sister :)
Kathy

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details