Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Lord's Day & Pork Chili~



I am up bright and early to make Sunday Dinner for after church this morning. I am up with good intentions but the longer I am up the more queasy I feel. The normal flu~ according to the Media~and who pays attention to them anymore~ is to hit in January. Unfortunately almost everyone close to us has had it in their household this past week. I use antibacterial stuff on my hands constantly while I am out and about and I wash my hands so many times in a day but I think I might be getting sick~yeck! Mind over matter~I am going to sip some tea !

Anyways~ I am up making pork chili. Not so good~while not feeling well but it is on the menu for today. I already took the meat out of the freezer. I buy pork tenderloins when they are on sale and My Brian cuts them up for me. I get boneless pork chops, pork roast, pulled pork sandwiches and stew size meat for pork chili~ all for whatever the sale is per pound. Last time for 99 cents per pound. It is so much cheaper this way! You can't buy boneless pork chops for that price any where. So I always have some in my freezer. It is a huge money saver.

Here is our one of the Shindorf Favorites~

Mexican Pork Chili

Ingredients:

  • 2 to 2 1/2 pounds pork loin or lean pork shoulder, cut in 1-inch cubes
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes in juice
  • 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
  • 1 can of Retell type tomatoes with the hot peppers
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 small bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • minced jalapeno or other hot chili pepper, to taste (optional)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon cumin

Preparation:

In a large skillet, brown pork cubes in hot oil over medium heat. Drain. Place pork in crockpot; add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Serve with flour tortillas~ and a side of Spanish Rice~YUM!!
Serves 4-6.

Sometimes I add chili beans ~sometimes not. I also add different things in it according to my taste buds that day and what I have on hand.

Well I am going to make some Stash Tea~my favorite but honestly I think I might need to call for a replacement to teach my Sunday School Class!

I pray you have a wonderful Lord's Day and remember it is the Lord's Day all day!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well. I send my prayers and warm thoughts to you. Thank you for your inspiration.

Denise said...

I hope you don't get too sick... that reminds me I haven't taken my Emergen-C for a couple of days! We haven't had flu in our house yet, I am praying it stays that way.
Your chili sounds yummy.
Feel better soon.
Hugs Denise

Miss Jen said...

Blessed Lord's day to you
and Happy New Year~ dear Carrie!!!
Mmmm.... that chili sounds amazing!
I am so sorry you aren't feeling well~
I have been under the weather the
last few days due to a flu virus.
Rest up and drink lots of tea!
*hugs*

Love always~ Miss Jen

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

Lunch sounds good but the flu not so good!
Hope you get better and feel fighting fit quickley!

UPON A HILL said...

Healing come your way in JESUS name! Chilli sounds good. That is the way I buy my pork also.

Blessings~Kim

Camille said...

Oh dear...sorry to hear about your illness Carrie! Try taking Oregano Oil...a few drops under the tongue and hold as long as possible...swig it all back with Orange Juice and repeat every six hours or so...until you feel better.

Blessings!
Camille

The Old Cupboard Door said...

The chili sounds wonderful, a great dish for a cold day like today. Thanks for the recipe. I hope you are feeling better soon. I am just getting over a bad cold, made it to church this morning in spite of it and so glad I did.

~willa~

Beautiful pear tree lane said...

Hi Carrie,
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well, will be praying for you seems you have a busy week ahead. I too use sanitizers on everything when out and about.
The chili recipes sounds delicious especially in this cold weather we all seem to be having.

Hope Sami continues to improve as well.
Blessings,
Sue

Granny Annie said...

Your blog is a cozy and comforting place to visit. I hope you are feeling better and had a restful Sabbath. Your family probably enjoyed the pork chili a lot more than you did. Hope Sami is doing well.

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details