Friday, January 1, 2010

A Sami Update~




















When we moved to the country I knew I wanted to get chickens. I have been following a blog from a Chef named Terry Golson. Her blog is the Hen Cam ~you can visit her here. During the daylight hours you can see her girls in action with her live web cam. She has been such a help with my chickens. She emailed me with help for my Sami.

I want to thank all of you for your advice and much needed help. I took all of your advice. And I am so thankful for all your kind words and support.

I brought her in the house and got her warm. She then got an antiseptic bath and a critter killer dip. You don't know what you are missing until you give a chicken a bath. It took My Hannah helping to get it accomplished. But we survived!

She had no parasites on her and her vent was clean and not bleeding. Chicken farming is not for the squeamish! After her bath we used the blow dryer to dry her feathers until she was nice and dry. It takes a very long time to get a chicken dry!! And she really needed a bath~if you get the picture.

Terry recommended we give her an antibiotic for a week but we have to wait for UPCO to open tomorrow! She has perked right up with only sneezing now. I am concerned about her being in a warm house but after her bath I do not want her in the cold. I am going to give her a week of meds and then take her to the Garage for a week or so before she goes back out to her coop~providing all continues to go well. She is a very well behaved house guest except when Emma, our dog goes by her kennel. She is very timid and is not sure she wants to be friends.

I am not sure why she stands out in the cold all day. The others go back into the coop. My Brian does not feel the others are the reason. They have all been siblings since Easter. Although she is a bit different with no neck she is accepted just always on the bottom of the pecking order. My Brian is afraid she does not know when to come in out of the rain. I am going to keep a watchful eye as I always have. The coop is in view of my kitchen window. I may just have to put her back into the coop each day several times a day to keep her from staying out in the cold to long.

The others are well and show no signs of any respitory problems.

Sami is resting well in a kennel inside my kitchen. She has been babied all day by my Hannah who took her to the basement for several airings. I think she is going to be just fine.

8 comments:

Denise said...

Awww, she's so pretty, I'm glad you got the answers you needed... I know nothing about chickens so could be no help. I hope Sami continues to get well.
hugs
Denise

The Watts Family said...

Oh what a wonderful Chicken Mama you are indeed!! That is a compliment of course hehe! Such sweet pictures ...glad to hear she is doing well! Enjoy your special house guest ~Happy New Year ~blessings Heather ;)

Kristy Quinn said...

Aw, I'm glad you had people help you know what to do. Now when it's my turn to have chickens I can ask you :) lol She's so beautiful!

Nancy M. said...

She's even prettier since her bath! I hope she keeps getting better!

Regan Family Farm said...

You truly amaze me! Perhaps if my chichkens were within view I would love on them more??? Sami is one lucky girl!
Blessings,
Kathy

Beautiful pear tree lane said...

Hi Carrie, I just had to come by and check on Sami tonight, I hope she continues to do well, she certainly is in good hands.
Blessings,
Sue

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

She is one special girl and very lucky! I'm glad she's doing well and hope she will be alright. Keep us posted.

Domestic Goddess said...

Chickens are odd. I have 46, just lost one to a critter yesterday. Half of my chickens roost inside the hen house, the other half roost outside. Last year we had -14 degree weather and I ran out in the morning sure I had popsicles for chickens ,but they were all fine. They fluff up their feathers. The only problem we had was that a few got frost bite on their combs. The tips turned black. But they were ok too. I did make Hubby put plastic up around the outside pen so they had some protection from the elements.
The things we do for the girls!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details