Sunday, February 21, 2010

I'm Dreaming Of A Spring Garden...............


I am dreaming of a Spring garden..........................
I have been searching my seed catalog and checking it twice............
BUT ~


After being in Branson for a Married Couple's Retreat with 55 degree~sunny weather we have returned home to none other than more SNOW!!! It snowed 3-4 inches Friday while we were romancing in Branson. Then on our way home last night we ran into every kind of winter weather you can imagine~ice, freezing rain, drizzle and snow. We have about 6 inches more today. It is still snowing and we are to get more this evening. The Farmer's Almanac has sure been accurate this winter! I think I am convinced I will use the ol' Farmer's advice for planting my garden this Spring. Oh~Spring! I keep thinking surely it is around the corner. This is the worst winter that I can remember in years and years.

We had a wonderful time away. We stayed at the Chateau At The Lake in Branson.
The Retreat had over 350 couples from the surrounding five states.




I will share more about the retreat as I post through the week. Next year it will be February 18th and 19th also. If you live close you would really enjoy it!

For now we are shoveling and shoveling and shoveling and cleaning the chicken coop.



Let me answer the question several of you have asked about why I clean the chicken coop~ let me explain. Each day I gather 12 wonderful farm fresh eggs that we eat, share, and sell. If you have a wonderful clean coop ~your eggs are nice and clean. If you have a messy coop your eggs are not so clean~as in I don't want to eat them~ messy! Besides the fact I just love my girls and want them to be happy and well. The happier they are the better they lay. Chickens need to stay dry to stay well. The only way to keep the coop dry is to keep it clean and keep the shavings or straw dry.

Would you rather eat eggs from this? or~

this?
And this would be One Happy Chicken~Layla. I think she is a cutie!


As I was cleaning the coop today Sami came down to chat with me. After her sickness she has been my little shadow and has developed such a friendly disposition. She is such fun. When I talk to her she just talks back in her little language! She is the cutest little bird~I think I should write a book about her.

Poor Chickens ~they just hate the snow. Their feet are not made to stand in the snow. They hold one foot up under their body at a time~to keep it warm. I will just keep them locked in their coop for the day with all the snowing and blowing. They are ready for Spring too!

Hope you are all having a Happy Lord's Day~ We are snowed in for another church day!

14 comments:

Down On The Farm said...

I am so glad you are home safely, and that you had a great time. I'm sorry you're getting all the snow. I think I am about 3 hours away from you, and we have had rain since last night but no snow at all. It is nothing but MUD here. The road we live on is in horrible shape, and there is nothing the road crews can do for days! I made your homemade hand soap today. I will let it thicken overnight and start using it tomorrow. I CAN'T WAIT! I've never been to The Cheateau in Branson, but it looks beautiful. And I'm like you -- anyplace I can go with my husband is wonderful to me! Sorry you missed church this morning. We had a GREAT SERVICE, and I will be posting about it tomorrow!

Down On The Farm said...

I am so glad that you are home safely, and that you had a great time. I've never been to The Chateau, but I've driven by it and it looks beautiful. Maybe I can get my husband to go next year!! Wouldn't that be fun? Sorry you're getting all the snow. I think I am about 3 hours from you and we have NONE. It started raining last night and has rained all day long here. This afternoon I made your homemade liquid soap. I will let it thicken today and tonight, and start using it tomorrow. I can't WAIT to try it. Thanks so much for all your recipes. Enjoy the rest of the day. I am sorry you missed church this morning. We had a great service, and I will be posting about it this week.

Denise said...

Hi Carrie, thank you for your kind sweet words. Snow always sounds lovely but the minute I saw the fluffy stuff over home I thought 'oh no'! I so didn't want it to lay on the ground, not with having to get to the hospital every day. Thankfully it didn't.
Hope it melts soon for you, hard to imagine but it's a balmy 72 here today and sunny! We're back in the 50's tomorrow but I imagine that still sounds very warm and spring like to you ;)
Have a lovely Sunday.

MyJourneyBack said...

Oh so glad you had a great time. The hotel looked fabulous! Thanks fo posting about your chickens. I am thinking I might have to live through you so keep posting. We haven't been able to find a house. And the only options are not chicken friendly! Oh I am getting anxious. Pray for me sis!
Have a wonderfully Blessed Week,
Sherry

Patty said...

I'm glad you had a good time away. I too am looking forward to spring. I think the "Sami" book is a good idea!

Regan Family Farm said...

Hi Carrie~So sorry about your migraine :( I get those every once-and-a-while. Funny, we were looking at the same seed catalog today, too! BTW, we clean our coop weekly! Are there really people who don't??
Blessings~
Kathy

momoflots said...

Your brand new grandbaby is experiencing the MILDEST winter us Washington residents have had in years and years!! I bet he's loving it (along with his mommy and daddy!!!)

We are building a new chicken coop this spring and I am soooo excited - our last coop got damaged in a huge wind storm and we could never keep it secure enough from predators after that - we kept losing our ladies to coons so we are starting from scratch!! Our chickies will be coming in March and April - I can't wait!!!!

Cindy (Letters From Midlife) said...

Looks like a great place! Enjoy your cozy snowed in day.

Domestic Goddess said...

We were thinking of the Spring garden today. The whole family helped shovel the compost heap onto the garden area. We are ordering our new girls, broilers and turkeys tomorrow to have them delivered over several weeks.I may even brood them in our sitting room with the coal stove to save on electricity! I am excited. I love talking about what we are going to plant and how much of it we should need. We are trying the no till method this year. Apparently you layer six inches of compost on the garden plot and plant your stuff. Our Amish friends said to plant the potatoes in the compost and when the plants get about six inches high pile straw all around the plant. The potatoes will grow under the straw and digging them up will be a cinch. That's what he says... I have a feeling it won't be as simple as that. It never is.

Miss Jen said...

Oh... can you believe spring
is almost here?!!
You have inspired me about
a 'spring garden.'

Love~ Jen

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Hope the retreat was very good for both of you!

Marydon Ford said...

G'morn, Carrie ~ Doing a lot of catch up reading with you ... sorry so delinquent.

No matter what you share, Carrie, your writings are so warm & full ... TY.

Looks like a lovely place for a stay with DH ... peaceful, elegant & relaxing. Glad you had such a wonderful time.

Have a beautiful week!
TTFN, Hugs ~ Marydon

Nezzy said...

What a fabulous getaway ya'll had! Then back to real life with chicken coops and all! Yep, gotta clean those coops keepin' your fine feathered friends happy and the cackle berries comin'!!! Heeeheehe!

God bless ya'll and have a glorious day!!!

Horse Filled Days said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Branson, and the pictures are great! I have been reading and learning all I can about chickens, I hope to have them in a couple years, when we build a house on the farmland we purchased a couple years ago. Anyway...when you clean the coop out, do you just scoop the poop out and put down shavings, or do you actually clean and hose down all the surfaces, and what do you use to clean them with, just water, or some type of disinfectant? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to be prepared and know somewhat what I am doing to make sure my chickens will be healthy, LOL...love your blog!

http://horsefilleddays.blogspot.com/

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details