Friday, February 12, 2010

Driving Miss Daisy~








Have you seen the movie~Driving Miss Daisy? It is the cutest movie!

Here are some quotes from the Movie~
Daisy Werthan: Did you have the air-conditioning checked? I told you to have the air-conditioning checked.
Hoke Colburn: I had the air-conditioning checked. I don't know what for. You never allow me to turn it on.
Daisy Werthan: Hush up!



Daisy Werthan: Hoke?
Hoke Colburn: Yes'm.
Daisy Werthan: You're my best friend.
Hoke Colburn: No, go on Miss Daisy.
Daisy Werthan: No, really, you are...
[Takes Hoke's hand]
Daisy Werthan: You are.
Hoke Colburn: Yes'm.



Daisy Werthan: [on the phone, trying to get a ride to her hair appointment] Well, I need you now, I have to be at the beauty parlor in half an hour... no, I most certainly did NOT know you have to call a minimum of three hours ahead! I don't know why you call yourselves a taxicab company if you can't provide taxicabs!
Idella: [in the other room, polishing a table] Why don't you call your son down at the mill? He'll send somebody for you.
Daisy Werthan: That won't be necessary... I'll just cancel the appointment and fix my own hair!
Idella: Sometimes I think you ain't got the sense God gave a lemon!


Today is my day to drive Miss Daisy. Every Friday I feel like I get to be in this movie. ~

A friend~of a friend~ called me about a year ago and asked me if I wanted a little part time job. I like to have a little pocket change so I decided I would go meet Miss Billie.

When I got there, Miss Billie was sure I could start right away and she would need me to be there everyday. Well as a stay at home Mom, who home- schools, I just had to turn her down on her offer. It happened to be at the end of the school year so I told her I would help her out three days a week through the summer. She really needed some help~so I committed to just the summer. She would continue to look for someone to replace me before August ~time to start back to school. Something happened during that summer.

Let me describe Miss Billie to you. She is beautiful, tall with the straightest posture, she is 84 years young, she knows everything a History book could every tell you, she can recite anything you would want to hear~ she is brilliant. She is organized and has the sharpest mind! She can garden and knows most everything on the subject. She feeds the birds for the entire city~no really. The birds know her address by heart. Her squirrels are the most obese squirrels I have ever seen. Miss Billie even buys food for the raccoons. She does have an enemy~the neighbors cat that roams free. The cat has been labeled a serial killer and Billie is on the look out for the cat at all times. She also wants everything her way and her way alone. We had a few go arounds and meetings of the mind~ if you know what I mean. She won!! She wins every time! She is the most incredible lady~I enjoy spending time with her.

What happened? ~ I fell in love with Miss Billie.

By the end of the summer she had not found anyone that would conform to her and only her way of thinking. By this time I ~ I hated the thought of just anyone helping Miss Billie so I hired my MOM. Wasn't that a good idea? My mother drives Miss Billie Monday through Thursday and I go every Friday afternoon to drive Miss Billie. It has become a time I look forward to each week. She makes me lunch and we visit. I have learned the most amazing things from Miss Billie. I have also learned that life goes by so quickly and that we need to stop and cherish each and every day while we are here on earth. I am so glad God brought Miss Billie into my life.

God has blessed my life richly by giving me a friend named~ Miss Billie. It is my desire that I know for sure Miss Billie has accepted Christ as her Saviour. Would you pray with me?

I am now off to drive Miss Billie~Have a great day!

Proverbs 17:17~ A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

17 comments:

The Old Cupboard Door said...

I love that movie too and it does sound like you have your own Miz Daisy in Miss Billie. I will pray for Miss Billie.

~willa~

Cindy (Letters From Midlife) said...

Lovely! What a wonderful person to have in your life. We could all use a Miss Billie and I wish I had one.

Michelle said...

What a beautiful post and a beautiful story. Yes, we need to pray for Miss Billie. Have a blessed weekend.....

Robin's New Song said...

Such a sweet story. I've had the elderly on my heart a lot lately. They can become so forgotten. I will pray with you for her, and for God to raise up more Miss Billie's in each of our lives, for us to pour into them, while they share their treasured wisdom with us.

Keith and Julie Loveless said...

I was looking at the laundry recipes at the bottom of your page. I've tried a powdered version of the detergent and loved it! Am looking forward to trying the liquid version. Where do you get downy scent? I didn't know it was available.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

What a great job! Hope you're enjoying your day. And I love that movie!

Patty said...

Yes, I will pray with you.

Keeper of our Home said...

That was such a sweet movie. I wish they made more like that.

~Mrs. M

Amy said...

I've known a Miss Billie or two! Feisty and funny, I call 'em! I hope you and Miss Billie have a wonderful Friday!

Down On The Farm said...

Awwww! What a gift you have been given, with Miss Billie in your life. And what a gift you are to her. I am reminded of the scripture "Inasmuch as you have done it unto the least of these, you have done it unto ME." Your Heavenly Father is proud of all you do. I will pray. Have a wonderful day!

MyJourneyBack said...

OH how sweet what a beautiful story. And how funny you hired your mom to help her. Great for both I am sure. And I wondered where does she go everyday? Hope you have a wonderful day and a Blessed weekend. BTW I usually try to write about what fruit on Friday usually I hope to share something I have done but this week I have been sick I haven't been very helpful to anyone. Your story made me feel better.

Kristy Quinn said...

What a neat story Carrie! You've got my prayers. <3

Marmee's Pantry said...

When we bought our 1st house - 24 yrs ago - our neighbors across the street were an old couple - Howard & Grace - who had lived there FOREVER. They became very dear to us. We called them "North Quentin Central" b/c if you wanted (or didn't want) to know ANYTHING about ANYBODY on our street all you had to do was talk to them for 5 minutes & you would know. lol

They are both w/the Lord now, but they left loving imprints upon our hearts.

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

Crystal said...

Oh that is such a dear movie. It is so nice to make older friend and cherish what wisdom they have, while they are here.
You are a treasure to this woman and her family. I know what it was like trying to find someone to be with my grandparents, when I or mom could not be. It is not an easy task, not easy at all. You are a true blessing and with that you are being blessed with a great friendship to treasure for years to come.
Yes, I will most definitely be praying for Miss Billie and you.
Thanks for visiting and following me. Your sweet comments are great.
Have a blessed weekend.

Flat Creek Farm said...

What a true blessing! For you, your mom, and Miss Billie! Prayers going up now for your request. Thank you for your special prayer and sweet note this week. Happy to report - all is well :) -Tammy

The Watts Family said...

Wonderful what a blessing!! I had an older neighbor when we lived in New York and I enjoyed her so much also! such a wonderful women!! We always end up helping to be a blessing but in return we are blessed! Adrian always jokes that I am Miss Daisy since I hate to drive(I was in a bad car accident a while ago)and we always say time to drive Miss Daisy LOL!! Have a wonderful weekend and Valentines ~Blessings Love Heather

Catherine Anne said...

I love this movie

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details