Thursday, February 25, 2010

Very Moist Banana Nut Bread~



  • My Hannah made this recipe tonight and it was so good~thought we would share!
  • It is made with oil instead of shortening~which I like!

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/3 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk (I used sour milk)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 4-5 bananas (use completely black bananas, this is very important)

Directions

  1. 1
    Heat oven to 350°. Grease or spray 2 loaf pans.
  2. 2
    In a large bowl, mash bananas with a masher or by well washed hands.
  3. 3
    Dissolve soda in buttermilk-- use a larger container as it will foam up quite a bit.
  4. 4
    Mix all ingredients by hand and add in 1 cup chopped nuts. Bake at 350° for 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out ALMOST clean.

8 comments:

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

I've always used oil instead of shortening, I replace oil in all my baking, canola oil too.

Molly @ Star Cottage said...

Yumm! What a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing. My hubby has high colesterol and we need to cut out the shortening as well. I can't wait to try this. He loves Banana Bread ;)
Blessings,
Molly

The Old Cupboard Door said...

It looks Yummydelicious! We love banana bread at our house. thanks for the recipe and tell Hannah thanks too.

~willa~

Keith and Julie Loveless said...

Have you tried it with Apple sauce instead of oil? I usually try to substitute the oil because... well, frankly, I don't need the extra padding :oP Sounds great though, I'll have to try it sometime. My kids only like bananas when they are perfectly ripe, so I put the extra ripe ones in freezer bags pre-mashed that way they are perfect for recipes like this one.

Barbara said...

yumyum good looks good sister, I made bread two days ago, and then Big bicuits this morning, I do have some black bananas so think I will try this recipe, I usually use the one on Splenda, but out of Splenda now.
Hugs and thanks Barbara

April said...

Thi looks good. I have some bananas in the freezer and may have to try this one this weekend.

Skye said...

Mmmm! That sounds great! :)

Kristy Quinn said...

Oh yummy! You should have seen my daughter Skye's(above) face when she saw me click on your Blog to read about it. As you can see, she had already been here. lol I look forward to making it. Thanks for the recipe mama :)

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details