Saturday, March 27, 2010

Grandma's Sunday Meatloaf





  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or 1 pound lean
  • ground beef and 1/2 pound ground pork
  • 3/4 cup oats, quick or old-fashioned
  • 1/4 cup chili sauce or ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 3 tablespoons water or milk

Preparation:

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped celery and onion; cook, stirring, until tender, about 7 to 9 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix ground beef or beef and pork mixture, oats, chili sauce or ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, beaten egg, celery and onion mixture, and the water or milk. In a 13x9-inch baking pan, shape meat mixture into a 9x5-inch loaf. Bake at 375° for 1 hour. Using 2 spatulas, carefully move meat loaf to a serving plate and slice.

5 comments:

mommyx12 said...

This sounds and looks yummy. My mom used to make meat loaf all the time when I was growing up. What's funny is it's always been a relatively cheap meal and still is I suppose to some but for us it's actually costly!! As crazy as that sounds but I need at least 3 lbs for my family and that's just a lot for one meal. Unfortunately because I love it and so do my kids!! Once in a while though we do make some!!

Stacey said...

My goodness that sounds delicious! We love meatloaf but never make it with pork. Sounds wonderful!

Camille said...

Yummy ~ I *love* meatloaf! Your picture is great it made me want to see more!! AND I would love a slice...please! :)

Have a lovely Sunday!
Blessings,
Camille

Walking on Sunshine... said...

That looks yummy!!! And I love what you did with the eggs! Very nice!

We are the Smith Family said...

Oh yummy.....would love this next to a big pile of grandma's mashed tators :)

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details