Thursday, March 4, 2010

How Planning Your Meals Will Save You Money~


1 Corinthians 14:40~Let all things be done decently and in order.


On of my favorite quotes~ "Plan The Work & Work The Plan." I make list~do you? I mean I have a new list each day. It has become necessary now with this pre-menopause thing I am in right now~my mind some days just seems foggy~and I can't see to read anything without reading glasses now. But that is another post Like maybe Harmones, Hot flashes and Headaches!

Menu planning saves so much time and money. I don't want to decide at 5:00 PM what we will be eating. In the past I have made a monthly menu but with my new ~goal to make money by saving it ~I just make a weekly menu now. Why? Because I make our menu around the sales for that week. I truly believe by planning menus~ it saves you big money. I plan some more expensive meals and follow it by some very budget minded meals. I don't make what sounds good~I make what is on sale.

By making your menu before you go to the store you will not buy items you don't need and sometimes let go to waste.

I told you yesterday about Money Saving Mom.Com. Here is her post for today. Click here! I do have to tell you I signed up for her email list so each new post just comes to my inbox.



It helps me to have a form~Here is the one I used for this month from another wonderful blogger~The Project Girl. I like a nice pretty one ~it just inspires me more . Click here!


Here is my meal planning tutorial~

*Grab the weekly flyer from your favorite grocery store.. I don't take the paper so I pick it up Wednesday night after church.

* I check my pantry first to see what I have on hand to make a meal. Maybe I have most items on hand but just need one ingredient to make a meal. Those meals go on my menu first.

* Next I check coupons to the store sale flyer. I use my coupons stacked with sale items. I don't spend my coupons until items are on sale. This is where you will save big money~which makes couponing work. This week Cheerios were on sale for $1.75 a box. I had several coupons in which I got my cereal for an average of 75 cents a box. I have one store I like best but I move around according to who is having the best sales. I try to once a month Aldi shop at the first of the month and then I shop the weekly sales.

* Circle the items on sale that you like and can make a meal with. If ground chuck is on sale I will make tacos one night, meat loaf for Sunday dinner and I will buy several packages to put in the freezer for next week. Take advantage of what is on sale to make that weekly menu~this will save you money. St Patrick's Day is around the corner~I will take advantage of the brisket sales and even stock up on a few when it hits the rock bottom sale price.

* Write down seven meals from what is on sale~then begin to make your grocery list~easy as that. Making a shopping list of all the ingredients you will need for these meals! Being a homeschool Mom we are home for all all meals so I also jot down what we will have for breakfast and lunches.

I encourage you to give it a try. There are no last minute grocery runs to get needed items. These little last minute trips always end up costing far to much! I have been doing this for 25 years so it has become like clock work. It really does save you time and money!

Happy Menu Planning!





9 comments:

Joycee said...

You are so right! After 40 years of meal planning, mine revolves around trying to make use of everything I cook..no waste. It's hard and I try not to bore us with leftovers. Yesterday when I boiled a chicken for a casserole, I used the broth and made a small batch of chicken dumplings for another night. Ready and waiting in the fridge, they will taste good on these cool nights. Thanks for helping us learn to save those pennies!

Patty said...

Such good ideas. I printed one of the forms for use with my next menu plan. Thanks for sharing the link.

Tina said...

Thanks for a great post! I usually do menu plan but recently found out that Im expecting our 3rd baby! And I have had no appetite and some food aversions so I just have to interest in cooking let alone menu planning. I hope this will change soon though:) I'm going to check out that moneysavingsmoms.com looks like a great site!

Noel said...

OR! Try e-mealz.com which gives you a weekly menu plan based upon sale items at your local grocery store. It's cut my grocery budget by a quarter and given me huge savings I couldn't do myself. I love it and the meals are great.

I am not a paid advertizer, just a normal homeschooling, homemaking mommy of 3 :)

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Great ideas for all of us to save money! Thanks Carrie!

Julie said...

Great ideas!! I always feel my week goes better when I am prepared and things are in order. Our God is so awesome!!

Nezzy said...

Thanks for the tips. Now grab onto your seat, I only go to the grocery store twice a month. I cook in large quantities freezing entrees two by two and making other thing out of what is cooked to freeze. I can always grab an entree out, bake a potato and throw together a salad and have a meal in no time. I freeze breads, hot rolls and desserts in individual packages.(easy to grab for Hubbys lunchbox. I throw away almost nothing, ever! Woohoo....

You have a greatly blessed day!!!

Amber said...

Awesome. What a geat post. I just love your blog! Thank you for all the great tips!!

Cindy (Letters From Midlife) said...

I'm a big fan of montly menu planning as well as once a month cooking so I have a lot of meals already to go in the freezer.

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details