Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Lord's Supper~



It is a beautiful day here at Farming On Faith. The sun is shining and the birds are singing~even the chickens have a spring in their step. I am looking forward to celebrating the day. I spend this afternoon with My Homeschool Kindergarten class~such fun. This evening our church will take the Lord's Supper.

This is a serious day for me in that I will be seeking the corners of my heart and soul and confessing any sin in my heart. I will even ask God to reveal to me any un-confessed sin I am harboring~unknowingly. Why? This evening is the Lord's Supper at our church.

To me remembering what my Saviour did for me on the cross in one of the most sacred times of all. At our church the lights will be dimmed and we will have a Memorial service for Jesus. It will be a quiet and reverent time. I look forward to this day all year.

What we should know about the Lord's Supper~

* It is a divine command~ Christ said~".....this do in remembrance of me." I so enjoy this time at church! To neglect to observe this sacred command is disobeying God.

* It is a privilege~ We are invited to come to the Lord's table~He invites us. Wow~what an awesome blessing. It is such a sweet time of closeness with God.

*It is a necessary Memorial. Oh~it reminds me of the high cost of my salvation. It reminds me that the blood that was spilled that day was priceless and painful to my Saviour. Not only does he deserve a Memorial but He deserves that I live this life to honour Him. I should have been crucified~ I should have bled and died for my own sin.

* It is a testimony. By taking part in the Lord's Supper~I am declaring a am a follower of My Jesus!

* It is a humble confession. I am confessing that I could not save myself! Without Christ~I am nothing!

* It is a declaration of my faith. Not only do I acknowledge that Jesus was crucified for the sins of mankind but I believe He is the King of Kings~one day He will return. When Jesus left the table that day with His disciples~He went and died willingly and He will come again just as He promised! I BELIEVE!

***** There is a warning which takes me back to searching the corners of my heart and soul! If we take it unworthily there is a serious warning.
27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

There have been times I did not partake just for this reason. I had something in my heart that I just could not confess, maybe bitterness I just couldn't let go of!

But today~ I am excited and so looking forward to this time with My Saviour!
As I partake in the Holy Communion I am going to remember each drop of blood that My Saviour spilled, each tear He cried, each stripe that was laid on His back, the pain He must of felt watching His mother suffer as she watched her son being tortured, how He cared for those hanging next to Him, how the earth went black, how the weight of the most putrid sin felt to Him and just how it must have hurt Him so when His Holy Heavenly Father had to turn away from that putrid sin.

Oh yes~today I am going to remember and cry out and because He is worthy to be praised!


1 Corinthians 11:24-27

24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.



3 comments:

Amy said...

We will be having a supper and service on Thursday. I've never been to a service like this. I have been asked to read at Good Friday.

I always use to cry at Maundy Thursday service as a child when they would sing "Were you There?" and stripped the altar and draped it in black. Very moving.

Lynell said...

Hi Carrie-
Your blog has blessed me many times!I love what you shared today, and thought that I would share with you one additional thought on partaking of the Lord's Supper. In Luke 22:17-19 Jesus is talking to his disciples during the Passover meal and he says in verse 18-19 "For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in rememberance of me." The elements of the Passover are also found in the Jewish Wedding Ceremony, specifically, the betrothal cup that is shared between the bride and groom to seal their betrothal, before the groom leaves for a long period of time to prepare the bridal chamber for his bride. It would bind the young woman to her husband. Every time I partake of communion, I am reminded that I am the bride of Christ, and am betrothed to the Creator of the Universe.I am eagerly waiting for him to come for me, just as the jewish bride eagerly awaits the arrival of her groom to come and get her for the marriage feast. The Lord's supper is the sign of Christ's covenant with the Church, His bride. He has betrothed himself to us and paid the bride price by dying on the cross for our sins. When Jesus says "Do this in rememberance of me" it is like He is saying, "Don't forget me, your Bridegroom, and always keep me at the forefront of your mind. It shows that we are eagerly waiting for our Groom's return for us. I can't wait for the day when we will partake of the marriage supper, and be with Christ forever.
Have a blessed day,
Lynell

HOPE said...

Thank you for sharing such a vital message...and so honest!

Truly many take this so lightly...everyday we should examine ourselves whether we be in the faith..but also at times of communion to search our hearts even more as we REMEMBER ..WHY we have this blessed occasion.

Sobering...as we think upon those who stood at the cross with rejection. I can't even imagine such a thing. When His LOVE was so manifest!

God Bless you
HOPE

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details