Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Jumping For Joy~ Amish Study




Jumping for joy is good exercise.
Amish Proverb

Nehemiah 8:10 (King James Version)

10Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our LORD: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.


I am jumping for joy this morning. The birds are singing, the frogs (1001 of them) are croaking a tune, the trees are budding, the chickens are running all over the yard. All is wonderful at Farming On Faith this morning~well except the 35 mile an hour wind. But I refuse to let that smolder my joy.

Jumping for joy is great exercise so the Amish say. A recent study in Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise researched a southern Ohio Canadian Amish settlement. Ninety-eight Amish adults in this community agreed to wear pedometers and log their physical activity for seven days. It was no huge surprise but it confirmed that they had very high levels of activity just living their non-industrious life style.

The huge surprise came when Researchers found that an Old Order Amish adult was six times more active than an average English (non-Amish American). Six times! Amish men mostly work as farmers. One farmer reported 51,000 steps in one day-walking behind a team of horses while he plowed his field. The average Amish man took 18,425 steps per day. The average Amish woman took 14,196 steps in tending her garden, cooking, and childcare.

Another unexpected finding was only 4% of Amish are obese~despite they eat a high calorie and high in carb diet. Yum~ have you ever tried Amish cooking? It is my favorite in all the world! The typical Amish diet is based in Swiss- German style food~like dumplings, potatoes, fried chicken, and desserts out of this world~not to mention homemade breads and rolls. They also have very little heart disease among their people. Okay~I am convinced I really do want to be Amish.

The Amish believe in hard work and good living. In this study it shows that in the last 150 years with all our modern technology our activity level has dropped drastically and in turn we have a modern epidemic of obesity in America. Ouch!

An even more recent study found that the Amish in Lancaster Amish (Done by Archives of Internal Medicine) that three to four hours of moderate physical activity- walking briskly, gardening, running after children-overrode a genetic predisposition to obesity. Just getting up and moving~tending to life.

Sometimes it seems~our world does fancy expensive studies to tell us obvious things.

One of the things I observe in my Amish neighbors is what little stress simple living produces.

The family garden is an important and cooperative enterprise to the Amish. Most families preserve up to 800 quarts of fruit and vegetables each year. Stocking the pantry sounds like jumping for joy to me. I am off to tend my garden.

You have a wonderful day!


10 comments:

Amy said...

I lived close to Amish when we lived in Ohio. I enjoyed going there.

Have a wonderful day.

Jackie said...

The Amish life is so interesting to me. This story hit home for me because I've started wearing a pedometer and I'm appalled at how few steps I take each day (I sit at a desk all day for my job). I love that they are getting all those steps in each day by doing their daily work. Thanks and have fun in your garden. I've been having fun in mine too.

Jackie

Sue said...

The Amish are blessed in many ways because of their hard work. Another way is that because they are Amish they are exempt from the new monstrous health care bill. They do not have to adhere to the laws of the land.

Might be a good time to become Amish :)

Patty said...

Interesting post and comments.

Barbara said...

Really interesting, hum exempt from the law, that is is new one, I sure did not know that about the Amish, I love their bake goods.
Their ways are awesome too, just plain down to earth folks.

Marmee's Pantry said...

Yes, it certainly is interesting that so much is spent on 'researching' what we all know. I remember, yeeeeears ago, on Johnny Carson, that he was reading a list of gov't wasted $$. One of the items was several HUNDREDS of thousands of $$ spent on researching why toddlers fall off of their tri-cycles. Wow.

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

BECKY said...

There is something so appealing about the Amish way of life. Probably that life in these United States was very similar for a long time. We have just gotten so far away from it!! I love the whole "simplify" thing. The Amish have raised it to an art. Living simply may be more labor intensive, but it is also stress reducing as you have said.

My sister says that one of the things she loves about camping (in a pop-up) is that she sees on a regular basis how very little she truly needs to live comfortably and get by.

I can't say that I desire to be Amish, but I definitely am working on simplifying our lives!

Great post, Carrie! Hope your week is delightful!!

HUGS,
Becky

Vintage Girl said...

Wonderful post. I live in Amish country in Southwestern Ontario/Canada. Lovely people, they work hard and are good people. I help out at a fabric shop owned by an Amish family the odd time when they are either at a wedding or funeral (these events EVERYONE in their community goes to) Both are all day events with two large meals. I have many of their community cookbooks, yum...good, old fashioned cooking! I am really enjoying your blog. Blessings to you and yours, Heather

autumn said...

great post. I long to live a simple life and I also enjoying learning about the Amish. I love the sense of community and family values.

Nancy M. said...

This just proves I need to move more!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details