Sunday, May 2, 2010

May Day Morels~


My nephew~Coltin's record mushroom!





My brother and his family~

Happy May Day~

Here in Missouri, the month of May is full of reasons to be merry: lilacs, The Apple Blossom Parade and mushrooms. They are a treat for sure here in Missouri~selling for $30.00 a pound. My father was a master mushroom hunter and taught my brother.



How to cook morels~

· Cut the fresh morel's in half and soak in salt water for at least several hours. This cleans out all the bugs and dirt. Soaking overnight is best but if you just can't wait several hours is long enough.

· Beat several eggs to make a dipping batter. You can add a splash of milk depending on your taste. I like mine thicker so I do not add milk. If you need more batter as you are cooking you can always add more

· Crush saltine crackers in a food processor or I like to beat them with a rolling pin. You can use flour or seasoned flour to roll your mushrooms in. Put your flour or crushed crackers into a large zip lock bag.

· Put soaking mushrooms into a strainer and rinse well with water.

· Heat several tablespoons of cooking oil over medium heat in a deep frying pan.

· Dip mushrooms into egg batter and put into bag of crackers/flour and toss until well coated.

· Put mushrooms into hot oil and fry 3 to 5 minutes until brown and crispy on both sides. Eat and enjoy!




5 comments:

Carol said...

YUM! Haven't been out yet, maybe there's still hope for some in IN?

Flat Creek Farm said...

You're so lucky to have such great fungi hunters in your family! I guess I need to venture out a little further on the farm. (sigh) I'm a terrible mushroom hunter. I need lessons! Love that pic of the boys w/ the mushrooms in their mouths.. lol. -Tammy

Goodwife said...

No Fair! We aren't finding any here in our neck of Illinois! Look yummy!

Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage said...

Dear Carrie,

Oh my, those look heavenly!
We'll have to hunt along the creek and see if we can find any. If we do, I'll be back here to see how to prepare them!

Enjoy!

Laura

April said...

Wow, what luck! Mushrooms have been rare around here in Southern Indiana lately. They are going for $90.00 a bucket right now!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details