Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Treasure Hunting~Anyone?









Thrift Store Directory








Hebrews 13:5 (King James Version)


 5Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.


I was recently listening to Crown Ministries on the Radio just a few days ago. They were giving facts about our not so wonderful economy. Yet they said there are many profitable things that this recession has brought about for our society. For one~ people were hit by this without preparing for it. Most of the public has decided to get back to penny pinching~ much like " dear old Grandma did." We have become a lazy society with a throw away everything mind set. Our society spends money foolishly with no thought of tomorrow.  The Bible tells us something about this~

Proverbs 6
6Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:
 7Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler,
 8Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.

Since the recession people as a majority have stopped spending money on things that are not a necessity. As a result the retailers are losing money~ therefore they have started lowering prices and having~  "to hard to resist sales."
It is a great time to get on board, if you have not already. Make that dollar stretch as far as possible. Earn money by saving it!

They predict that when we come through this recession that people will not quickly forget and will continue to penny pinch.  Have noticed the web sites that have popped up everywhere helping us to save money ? There are tons of them. I love them all ~they do all the work for you. They tell you how to clip coupons and even the best place to shop each week ~ to save even more money. I get e-mails daily with great deals!

If you read my blog often you know I have really started making~ "My earning money by saving it" ~ a treasure hunting experience.  You can read about my homemade laundry soap on the side along with all my other money saving tips.

It is so tempting to run out and buy the newest thing.  But I have a new idea~how about discovering a new use for something old?

I love to decorate my home. I spend most all my time here so I want it to be a place of beauty and I like to surround myself with things I love. The best decorating bargains are the ones that cost us little money. I recycle used materials all the time. It is amazing what fun redoing old things can be. Last weekend I stopped at a Garage Sale and loading my car with items from Hobby Lobby~ that still had the tags on them. I spent $19.00 for four large boxes of things to decorate my home. Garage sales, swap meets, estate sales are all dependable sources for decorating your home.  My Grandma said, " Something old, something new, something borrowed......." ~this is more than a wedding formula- it can be a secret to decorating and living on a budget. 



* I have a little secret ~I find most all my skirts at thrift stores. I wear skirts almost every day~I think they are so much more comfortable. It seems many people buy skirts for special occasions and wear them once. So~I find new skirts for just a couple dollars. I will match it with a store bought blouse or sweater and save tons of money. No one ever knows~ well until now. 


I love to treasure hunt~for that bargain, a vintage item, something that I can bring to life once again with a little creativity. Really! Give it a try~ you might just discover you like treasure hunting! 


While you're hunting here is something else to think about~









2 Corinthians 5:17 (King James Version)


 17Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

What a treasure for sure~He makes us a new creature in Him. What a wonderful promise ~ a great treasure indeed!

Hannah having a good time~treasure hunting!

You never know what friends you will make along the way!
 The one and only Jessie James Antique Junk Shop Dog~


My Hannah always brings the camera along~you just never know what she will find!

9 comments:

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

GREAT post Carrie...very timely! I am the thrift queen and thrifting has helped me be a better steward of what we're blessed with! BTW, I have been making homemade detergent for probably almost 10 years :)

Blessings!
Gail

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I wish I could hit the junk shops with you; I'll bet you find some great stuff. I love it when I can buy great thrift shop clothes. Being thrify is an art, and I find I constantly try to develop it. Thanks for the encouragement with this blog post!

Down On The Farm said...

Old things ARE the best. I was just listening to Joyce Meyer on the radio today on my lunch hour and she was teaching on contentment. The media has BOMBARDED us with advertisements convincing us we simply must have the latest thing. And people have fallen for it. Most of us have so much more than our parents and grandparents had. We need to focus on the blessings our Father sends us. He is so good. Every good and perfect gift comes from above. Praise the Lord!

Diana said...

Such an inspiration!!! Thanks for a great post.

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

Friends now say to me when they see me in something new 'Don't tell me you found that in a garage sale?! They say they never see stuff like I find but my strategy is to go early and mainly target affluent suburbs. ' Almost every skirt in my wardrobe was purchased in a garage sale. I love all my long denim skirts - I always find these. Actually, I believe 80-90 percent of my wardrobe came from garage sales! Even my designer handbag came from a garage sale. I prefer the garage sales to thrift stores as I get better value for my dollar. I have noticed many of the thrift or op shops as we call them here are charging higher prices because vintage is so in fashion. Children's clothes can be $4 an item in a thrift store and $1 in the garage sale. On the weekend I found a beautiful, big painted wooden tray on a stand. Could be used as a nightstand or occasional table. It was embellished with folk art flowers in one corner and has a stippled panel in the centre - when I bought it I thought of you Carrie as it is very similar to the designs you create!

A Gardner's Cottage said...

Great post. I thought I was pretty thrify but have learned so much more in last few months. Learning to make my own laudry soap is next :)

If you lived a little closer I would be able to share the some pepper plants with ya!

~Nancy

Tanya said...

I love bringing home a bargain and turning it into a treasure!! It sounds like you did just that!! As soon as schools out, I can't wait to go garage saleing and thrifting and hit some auctions!!
Belated birthday wishes to Hannah. What a special day you all had.
You have had one busy May!!! Isn't g baby coming soon? YIPPEE!!!

Regan Family Farm said...

I love thrifting, but find that I must be careful or I can still manage to buy things I really don't need, just because it's a great deal! I'm trying to learn how to decorate/enjoy pretty while staying simple and not spending extra...all on a zero-creativity mind! Hey Carrie, it's not easy! :)
Have a great evening~
Kathy

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Love this post! My husband and I only make purchases when we have the money saved and we only do home improvements the same way.

My mother, who really can afford to go out and BUY her skirts, still makes every skirt she wears. And you would never be able to tell!

Great post Carrie! I agree with you!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details