Monday, May 17, 2010

Walking In My Grandmother's Steps~Grandma Mary's Carrot Cake Recipe



 Recently I inherited my Grandmother's recipes. She past away 14 years ago. I am so thrilled to have them to treasure. I enjoy seeing her handwriting and bits and pieces of the past. There are many tidbits of history added to the mix. I learned some fun things about my Grandmother from the notebook pages and pieces of paper she doodled on and wrote some of her recipes upon. The recipes are all in her boxes every which way and not in order. She was as we all are~busy. I know she planned one day to get those recipes put to order as I promise to do when I find the time.

 But I must tell you as I pilfer through her pieces of history, forgotten~ out of date coupons and her pay stubs used to jot down a friend's recipe at work~ I am thrilled to uncover a little part of my history. I get to learn a bit more of who my grandmother was and I can see a bit of myself in many of the pieces of the puzzle I begin to unfold.  It is amazing that her favorite foods are also my favorite foods. What a priceless treasure.

 My Grandmother was a beautiful woman and always looked put together with her hair, make-up and  clothes. Her home was so clean you could truly eat off her floors and everything was in place. She was a wonderful cook! I never knew my Grandmother well because my parents divorced when I was young and I am thankful for this special gift.  I used her baking pan to bake this cake and it was great to walk in her shoes but for a few moments in time.

At the top of her very soiled recipe card was written ~ Homemade Carrot Cake~oh so very good. And very good indeed it was. I made this cake to give for the Cake Walk for our Mother ~Daughter Banquet. I just wonder how many special occasions my Grandmother made this recipe to share. Enjoy~


Grandma Mary's Carrot Cake Recipe
2 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
2 cups grated carrots
4 eggs
1 cup mashed canned carrots or carrot baby food
2 teaspoons soda
1 1/2 teaspoons of  cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup of oil
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans) optional

1. Mix sugar and oil.
2. Add eggs one at a time.
3. Sift dry ingredients into a separate bowel.
4. Add dry mix to the wet mix.
5.  Stir in carrots and nuts.

Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.


Cream Cheese Frosting~
Package of Cream Cheese
7 oz. powdered sugar
1 stick of butter
2 Tablespoon milk

Mix together~ ( I needed more powdered sugar than 7 oz. Mix according to the texture you like)


10 comments:

Parsley said...

I think I just gained 5 pounds reading the recipe. Thanks for sharing a treasure from your grandma.

purensimple said...

This sounds wonderful Carrie. I will be making it later this week. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs ♥Theresa

Patty said...

Sounds good! I know you will treasure your grandmother's recipes.

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

What a wonderful story Carrie!
One of my earliest memories of my grandmother's house and my first taste of home baking was a slice of a deep cake that came out of a cream ware tin. It had a crisp crumb and was delicious - isn't it amazing that I can still remember the taste and the texture? I wish I had the recipe but sadly she never passed on her recipes or her baking skills to my mother and passed away when I was 10 years old. This makes me more determined to ensure my own children have a book of the recipes we used and I also need to organize all those scraps of paper in my cookbook drawer! Speaking of scraps of paper I'm going to write a blog post soon about a scrap of paper containing a sketchy, scribbled family tree found when my grandmother died that has been the key that unlocked my family history that I can now trace back to the 1600s and the first settlers of New England and one of America's famous families. The lesson here is - don't toss those scraps of paper away! You never know what history they might hold.
I'm making that carrot cake too - I'm sure your grandmother never imagined her recipe would one day reach Australia!

Green Acres in the City said...

This sounds amazing. I need a carrot cake for Mr. Miller's Birthday (his fav!) Thanks for sharing. I have a collection of Mr. Miller's grandmothers recipes and mine too. I have the honor of holding the beloved wooden recipe boxes.

Beautifully Veiled said...

How special! I have my grandmom's favorite cookbook. I love seeing her handwriting and all the changes all through it. This is such a treasure for you in so many ways! Thanks for sharing!
Linda

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

What a treasure! I write in all my cookbooks so someday my girls will have those memories. I hope they appreciate them as much as you appreciate your gramma's. Carrie, I love your posts!

Tasha said...

how many eggs do you put in? I didn't see it specified.

I plan to make this for Memorial Day! Hopefully no one will notice that I've taken it and sat in the corner to eat it all by myself.

Can you guess that carrot cake is one of my favorites?!

Thanks for sharing

BECKY said...

Carrot Cake? Mmmm...the only cake I like!! I'll have to try your Grandma's recipe!

Isn't it so interesting the way personality characteristics come through blood lines?? I always used to think my Mama Rose (my mother's mom) was so different because she decorated her house so eclectically, and now in my old age (HA!) I have realized that I am like her in so many ways. I borrow from every style in my home decor...there is something I love about them all, and that is just how she was. I have such wonderful memories of time spent at her home.

Thanks for prompting me to think about her.
Have a blessed day, Carrie. Love your heart gal!
Hugs n love,
Becky

April said...

Oh, you are so lucky to of inherited your grandmothers recipes! I love a good carrot cake, but unfortunately, most are dry and not very good. I will be trying your version next week. Thanks for sharing. :)

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details