Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hello September~ Apples Of Gold



"By all these lovely tokens


September days are here,


With summer’s best of weather


And autumn’s best of cheer."


-   Helen Hunt Jackson, September, 1830-1885

School,
Effort, and
Play.
Trying your best
Each hour of the day,
Making new friends,
Being good as you can
Exciting discoveries,
Reading books with a friend."-  
Boni Fulgham


"the air is different today
the wind sings with a new tone
sighing of changes
coming
the harvest gathered
a flower, a nut
some mead, and bread
a candle and a prayer
returning the fruits
in thanksgiving
to the grove
and receiving
it's blessing
again"
-   Rhawk, Alban Elfed

"The goldenrod is yellow
The corn is turning brown
The trees in apple orchards
With fruit are bending down."
-
  Childrens song

It is apple picking time. My children and I would pick apples each year at the "Jones' Orchard" when they were growing up. Mr and Mrs Jones were the cutest little elderly couple. We loved visiting with them every September. She would remember our names each year. She wore the cutest old fashioned bonnet to keep the sun off her face.  They had a small little building~no bigger than a phone booth. There would be piles of fresh produce laying in big piles on the ground that you could buy. She sold her produce for pennies. They both have taken ill and last I heard not doing well. This will be the third year we have not gone to visit them.  What sweet memories we have had going to the "Jones Orchard."  

September air calls me to start baking apples~how about you? I love this time of year. You can smell the air changing ~bringing in the Autumn season.



Proverbs 25:11 (King James Version)


 11A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.

How much better would relationships be if we would obey this scripture? If we were careful with all our words~ our lives and our relationships would run more smoothly. I had a Sunday School teacher when I was a small girl that thought me this saying.

Is it kind?
It is true?


Is it necessary?


If it does not fit all three questions~don't say it. Somehow as we get "SPIRITUALLY MATURE" we sometimes do more damage with our words than good.

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.  ~Robert Brault


If only we would guard our mouth and consider the damage our words can do to another person! 


Here is a devotion that is so good from Julia Bettencourt~the owner of Creative Ladies Ministry.com. Please take a minute to read it~you will be glad you did! Click here!





It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.  ~Author Unknown


Don't be yourself - be someone a little nicer.  ~Mignon McLaughlin,

6 comments:

Denise said...

I just have to say that I enjoy your blog tremendously! It is always so beautiful, both in word & in photo! I look forward to your posts. I feel like we are friends as we seem to have so much in common.
If you are so inclined, take a peek at my blog sometime: www.weareyoungereveryday.blogspot.com

Thanks for the good stuff!
Denise

Treasures Evermore said...

What great memories of your apple picking days. Oh to have neighbours like there everywhere.

Thank you for the gentle reminder about words...something I need to remind myself of daily.

Patty said...

Apples, apples! Isn't it great when sweet memories come back to us?

My youngest child and I have been reading the book "30 Days to Taming Your Tongue" along with our Bible reading each morning. I do believe this is something we could go over and over again. Words do matter. I am becoming increasingly aware of that. Even words that do not seem harmful can be taken and misunderstood causing harm.

Have a blessed day, Carrie.

Eileen@My Evergreen Place said...

My mind definitely turns to thoughts of apples, cider, pies and crisp. Welcome to September Carrie! :0)

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

September means spring here and yesterday was the first day of spring and would you believe it Carrie we saw our first snake of the season! The cat was jumping around in the grass - thought she had caught a mouse and sent Ezra down to chase her off it. 'Snake' he yells back - 'red bellied black'. He knows his snakes! The cat was hitting the snake (very venomous) with its paw and the snake was not happy. We managed to call the cat off and the snake slithered away. I do try to speak kindly to and about people but it is hard to speak kindly of snakes! Thankfully, that snake did not strike the cat - it wanted to though!
I used to equate summer with snakes but they have come out of hibernation early.
You will be making apple pies and I am trying to think of 101 uses for paw paws (papaya). In have a big box full (picked before the bats got to them) and so far have used it in cake, muffins, raw salad and for breakfast today juiced with pineapple.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Apples are ready here yet....but I do need to schedule that trip for my little one...the older ones did it.
Love the scriptures also...oh, my...my mouth!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details