Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Miss Billie's Weather Forecast~

Oak Fruit


Photo Credit~Suat Eman


As you all know I spend my Friday afternoons with Miss Billie. She is one witty~over educated~ 85 year old who I have fallen in love with. Through a friend of a friend~ I have been driving Miss Billie now for almost two years. I have learned some amazing things from her.  She is a walking history book and has traveled to many parts of the country. Each Friday seems to unravel a new story or a bit of history that Billie shares with me.  I suppose if I live to be 85 I will have much to share too!

Miss Billie is a friend to all creatures~she feeds the raccoons, the birds, the squirrels and any other creature in need. She refuses to kill even a spider. She is an exceptional gardener with flowers and prize winning roses. And~she grows tomatoes out of this world.

In the front of Miss Billie's house stands a tree that is shedding acorns like none other. You have to dodge them as you walk up her drive way. They are the fattest ~acorns I have ever seen. Miss Billie assures me that the tree has not produced such a large harvest in three decades~thus it is God's way of providing for her  friends~the squirrels!  Those squirrels have been busy as a bee trying to bury those acorns. Miss Billie says ~ "I have oak trees growing all over my flower bed~the least they can do is remember where they put the darned things."


She predicts that because of the abundant crop ~we who live in the Midwest are in for a very hard and long winter.  I do have to warn you~Miss Billie usually turns out to be right ~most of the time.

8 comments:

Kelle said...

I'd comment more often on your blog, but for some reason it takes forever and a year to load( we're on high speed too) and then I often times get kicked off*sigh*

What a blessing your friend Miss Billie is and I too treasure all of the older christian women in my life.:o) In fact I PTL daily for them and their husbands and the knowledge they so willingly share with our family. The elderly are portrayed " in the world" as being trouble, but in reality they should be truly treasured, sad isn't it?
Blessings for your day,
Kelle

Down On The Farm said...

I hope Miss Billie is wrong, but, we are wise to listen to our elders!!!

momoflots said...

I love weather forecasts like this - ones made by wise people who observe the world around them! I bet she's right! One other reason why she may be right is that I am of the belief that there are a lot of scientists with all their "Knowledge" believe that they can predict the future - the only thing is that they have taken God out of the equation. So I think He may confound their predictions with surprisingly cold winters for a while :0)!! We already have two feet of snow on the mountain pass nearest us!!! In October!!!!

Mrs.C said...

I don't know where momoflots lives, but, all I can say is BRRRRR! I'm just not ready for snow yet. We're just now cooling down into REAL fall temperatures. We've had a few teasings here and there, but it seems cooler fall temps are finally here.

What a blessing to you, Carrie, to have Ms. Billie in your life. I love the elderly! I can't say I'm excited to hear her weather predictions, I'm just not a winter person. ;o)

Tanya said...

I wish I had a Miss Billie to learn from! How wonderful and what a blessing for you.
I was debating to order that book Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball...I think I will!! You gave it great reviews and maybe it will get me in the spirit!! Thanks!

Sue said...

I always enjoy reading about yours and Miss Billie's adventure Carrie,
I hope this weather prediction doesn't apply to us here in the south, as we had a long hard winter. Right now though we can't seem to get the heat and humidity gone, 89 degrees today. I will be checking our oak trees this week. My grandmothers all predicted the upcoming seasons by God's creation. Thank you for sharing, as always such a blessing to visit you.
Hugs,
Sue

Melinda said...

We all need a Miss Billie in our lives. What a treasure! We live just a few miles north of you folks - just over the Iowa border and I sure hope she's wrong about the weather!

Diana said...

Don't doubt her for sure!!!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details