Thursday, October 14, 2010

Six Ways To Save On Christmas Spending ~ 2010



1 Timothy 6:17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;


Well if you have walked into my favorite store lately~Hobby Lobby~ you know that as you walk into the front door you will be greeted by "Autumn Scarecrows", "Thanksgiving Turkeys" and "Christmas Trees" galore.  Where in the world did 2010 go? I blinked and it is coming to an end. It's that time of year again. I have already starting feeling the stress level rise with plans of getting it all done and having enough budget to do so!


I have decided that I will not get caught up in the materialistic aspect of the 2010 Holidays. Yet~ I get a little tired of hearing how horrible our economy is~ while driving down our little main street I see every restaurant in town so packed you have a hour's waiting time. My friend~we are so blessed.

What’s Christmas time to you but a time for paying bills without money; a time for finding yourself a year older, and not an hour richer; a time for balancing your books and having every item in ‘em through a round dozen of months presented against you? If I would work my will … every idiot who goes about with “Merry Christmas,” on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart.” ~ Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol.


Six Ways To Save On Christmas Spending For 2010


1.  Make a budget. Always beware of your budget. Give yourself some wiggle room and plan accordingly. Remember it really is the thought behind the gift. So it is truly fine to buy an heartfelt gift that is not so expensive. Vow to keep Christmas debt free.


2. Shop Online. Here are some websites I have signed up to get emails from daily. Each day they send me some amazing deals to my email.  You must sign up to receive their emails. I have found so many amazing deals . You will be so glad you did!


http://moneysavingmom.com/
http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/
http://www.becentsable.net/


3. Make homemade gifts. I will be sharing my homemade gift ideas and tutorials on my blog. (SOON) Homemade gifts are the best! 


4. Bake items instead of giving a gift. The Dollar Tree has some amazing gift wrap options to make your homemade goodies look professional for pennies.


5. Shop Black Friday. Did you know that you could shop at home in your jammies with a cup of hot coffee and not get knocked down and ran over? Most all stores will ship to their store for free. You can pick it up once the crowds have all gone home. What a clever idea! The sale times will be the same ~so you still will have to get up in the middle of the night~ Sorry!  


 I am going to shop Black Friday this year at home~one of my friends  did this last year and she did not miss one single sale item she wanted to get. Of course she had her husband on a computer too. (TeHe) I don't think I could get mine awake at that hour. 


6. Plan your baking list now and start buying a few items each week instead of buying them all at once. Get baking~ Most things freeze well.


11 comments:

Janet said...

Thanks for the tips. I can't wait to see your homemade gifts for more ideas. Last year I really cut back and this year I plan to do the same. I also made some homemade gifts last year. I normal go to Black Friday but I hate crowds. This year I will look at the ads and then decide.

Blessings
Janet

Mrs.C said...

Thanks for sharing your list, I need that nudge to think ahead and plan ahead, it doesn't come natural to me.

The past few years we've not spent as much on gifts, and tried to spend more on festivities, having people over for visits and feeding them. We all have too much stuff here in the good ole USA, I crave fellowship more than anything and often find others do too.

Marydon said...

G'morn, Carrie ~ Lucky your town! Our state has suffered terribly, restaurants have cut back hours of business, tables are half full, stores are not packed, mall traffic is slower than usual ... glad somewhere is doing good.

I love your suggestions & have myself used many of them ... so much more personal, just as beautiful & often far more appreciated.

Great share...
Have a beautiful weekend ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon
I

Flat Creek Farm said...

Great tips, as always, Carrie. Thanks!! I've started shopping.. but barely :) -Tammy

Camille said...

Great post Carrie! I remember "meeting" you sometime around this time last year in this blogging world and enjoyed what you had to share about frugal ideas and such. I made your muffin in a jar idea and shared it with others. :)

Have a lovely time planning and staying on track with the budget. I like your idea of buying baking items early and doing stuff ahead and freezing...it really simplifies things later.

Blessings to you!
Camille

Sue said...

Carrie, what a jewel you are for always sharing such wonderful and helpful tips. I am so looking forward to what you have for us for the holidays.
Blessings and hugs,
Sue

Aliene said...

I am making most of my Christmas gifts. I look for things to make and save money. I have posted several throws that I quilted for some of the grand kids. I am making throw pillows. Crocheting around was cloths. Anything I can find to do to save money. Christmas is so commercialized and a gift from the heart would mean a lot to me.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Always love to see your ideas on saving money! I for one am so happy this year is almost over!! Hubby should come home sometime in January. Not sure what's going to happen after that, but just to have him home will be wonderful.

I've been trying to get my family to just buy for the kids for years, without any success! But I'm seriously going to try and cut back on what we spend this year!

momoflots said...

Got my crochet hook a workin'!! I'm also planning on making granola for all our neighbors and packaging it up pretty - a quick running of the numbers in my head and if my math is right it's even less expensive than cookies (which I usually give). It also has the advantage of being more healthy as one of our neighbors had a heart attack and I really shouldn't be tempting him with butter cookies anyway :0)!!! Thanks for the reminder to start planning ahead!!

Blessings,
Christine

Julie said...

I just posted about this on my blog. I can't wait to see your tutorials about homemade gifts. That is what I am planning on doing this year. I'll be checking back soon! Thanks.

Regan Family Farm said...

Fantastic ideas...and not too soon, though I am permanently behind :) Thanks for the "boost".
Hugs,
Kathy

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details