Thursday, October 7, 2010

Want To Make Your Own Laundry Soap And Fabric Softener?~





I have been making homemade Laundry Soap for four years and I have finally mastered a nice creamy~ no more goopy~ watery ~ soap. Here is my new and improved soap recipe.


Farming On Faith's Laundry Soap Cast of Characters~
1 bar of Fels Naptha
1 1/2 cup of Borax
1 1/2 cup of Washing Soda (NOT BAKING SODA)
4 cups of water
          

Easy Directions~

1*Grate bar of soap. Put in an old pan and cook with water until completely dissolved on medium heat.

2*Next~ add the Borax and Washing Soda and whisk. It will start to thicken like frosting. Whisk for 10 minutes on medium heat. (Use an old pan so you can whisk it good.) It will begin to thicken.

3* Pour the soap in a large mixing bowl and let it cool. This will take a few hours~ whisk it when you think about it. As it cools it will thicken~ a lot. Keep adding small amounts of water as you whisk it until it completely cools and you get the texture you like. Mine resembles cream cheese frosting in texture. Remember this is very concentrated so only use a couple Tablespoons for an HE Washer and maybe 1/4 cup for a regular washing machine. It works wonderful and no more goop!



Fabric Softener~




Fabric Softener Recipe

1 cup vinegar
2 cups hair conditioner  ( I used Suave's new Wild Cherry Blossom this time)
6 cups of water

Mix all this together. You may use this like any other Fabric Softener.

 If you prefer dryer sheets you can try this~I diluted this down with water~ 3 parts water, 1 part softener. I then poured it into this glass container.  Next I added  sponges.  For each load~ wring out the sponge and add to the dryer as you would fabric sheets.  I added a few drops of  Downy scent!  Smells wonderful!

***I buy my scent at Natures Garden Candle Supplies. Due to copyright laws the scent is now called NG Clean Breeze.  Click Here!****


14 comments:

Lands Family Led by the Lord said...

Thanks Carrie,
I have made the detergent before and was not pleased with the way my clothes came out. Went back to Tide. Yeah, now I will try with the Tide. I am married to a farmer and would love to use this recipe with my Tide. Love the money savings also..

Blessings,
Virginia

amber waves of grain said...

I've been using your detergent recipe for about a month (no Tide) and like it so far. Thanks for sharing!

Aliene said...

What is washing soda? I just ask my husband and he worked at Wal Mart before he retired. Said he did not know. I would love to try the detergent.

Janet said...

Thanks for the great tips. I am going to try it.

Blessings
Janet

Tanya said...

My house smelled so good when I made this!! :0)
I love love love your new header! Gorgeous!

Lara said...

I have been making the homemade laundry detergent for a year now, and LOVE it! I have helped make several converts as well. lol Started making the fabric softener about 6 months ago, and love that too! It's so nice having the stuff already around my house and not having to run to the store for these items. I also do the sponges as well for dryer sheets. I do admit that I have tried the bounce bar and love that too. lol (I did get it for $1 with a coupon though, so it was cheap) I do mine with Irish Spring soap since it's what my husband likes to use for his showers and I know that we won't have any allergy issues. Plus, it smells nice.

I still need to try your recipe for dishwasher detergent since it's a bit different than others that I have found posted online. The standard borax and washing soda does not work for me. Ick. White everywhere, but I hate to waste it, so I'm using it up with just a touch of some cascade added to each load and it works for now.

MyJourneyBack said...

Love your new look. Sorry I haven't been around lately. BTW I noticed I am following you on The Waiting tour. I haven't started it yet but know I will love it.
Enjoy yours. See you soon.
Sherry

Tanya said...

Hi Carrie,
I got your note! I'm so excited for your Fall candles. I wish I was your neighbor and could sit in your kitchen while you made candles! Well, I'd help if you needed me but I'd be happy just to sit and smell! HA!
If your weekend consists of another fun orchard day, I'm envious! How fun and what memories....Fill me in later.
Love,
T

Life In a Little House said...

Wow i can't wait to try this fabric softener recipe I have some conditioner that I think would be great for this ~thanks for sharing Love Heather

jordancristine said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe - I will be trying it as soon as our big box of detergent runs out.

beth said...

what do u keep them both in and how much do u add to your laundry each time

Anonymous said...

Where can I buy washing soda? Haven't found it anywhere. Please e mail me at hanjoben@juno.com
Thanks!! God bless!! Rebekah

Alicia said...

Can you use the fabric softener in the downy ball? And does the 2 gallons of water you mix in the detergent have to be hot or cold because it says cold listed with the ingredients and hot in the recipe?

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for the laudrysoap iam a winner over 2 types of cancer and money is hard to come by now so thanks again

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details