Friday, November 26, 2010

Giving Three Gifts~




Long ago I remember my days at MOPS.  It was during this time that I was introduced to the idea of giving only “Three Gifts for Christmas.” I wanted to start this tradition but never did. My Mom ~who happened to be a single Mom ~always made sure we had many presents under the tree. It was the time of the year that we received all the things we needed (like pajamas, socks, clothes and slippers) along with those special things we wanted of course. So in my mind my fondest memories of Christmas were a huge array of gifts under the tree.  I love seeing all the presents arranged like decorations under the Christmas tree.

However ~ it seems with the economy and tougher times for many people~ it seems the Christmas budget is getting smaller.

I think I am going to start a new tradition with the new set of children coming up~the grandchildren. Maybe a new tradition will be born in the Shindorf home.

What were the three gifts that the wise man presented on that day they visited the King Jesus ~the very first Christmas?

The Gift of Gold~
Gold is of great value~ expensive.  This gift could be that special gift that the child truly wants and of course the most precious thing they have been wishing for~ wrapped in gold paper .

The Gift of Frankincense~

Frankincense was the spice that was burned in the Temple during Jesus’ time. This gift could be one that will encourage growth in his or her spiritual walk. This gift could be a new Bible, devotion book, Christian music or even a Christian Movie.

The Gift of Myrrh~

In the Bible times Myrrh was a spice that was used to embalm the dead ~not such a sweet thought but it was said to be what Mary carried to the tomb to anoint Jesus’ body. So how can we relate this to gift giving?  The gift of Myrrh is the gift that covers the body. This gift could represent the gift of clothing, bath and body things and of course pajamas.

I love giving gifts and I think this could be a wonderful way to keep the focus on Jesus and his birthday.

16 comments:

Beautifully Veiled said...

I LOVE the idea!!! I have friends who have done so, we've thought about it as well, but just never did it! However, like everyone around us we are tightening our belts as well. This just may be the year!!!

Blessings!
Linda in GA

Farmgirl Cyn said...

My best friend gives 5 gifts each to her children (now grown up), one for each of the senses. Music, smelly candle, etc. This year, with pretty much no income, I think we will be giving the gits of hospitality!

Stacey said...

Carrie, I hope you're feeling better too. Thank you so much for commenting on my blog, that means so very much. :)
We keep talking about doing the three gifts and with 6 kids now, it seems an even better idea, particularly with finances being what they are. Like you, I grew up with many gifts beneath the tree and it makes me feel good to wow the boys (andthe girl now) on Christmas morning. I do want to refocus on what the season is all about so I think we are going to try to really stick to this and instead of being stressed out all season because we don't have the cash, to focus on the joy and the reason for the season and maybe it will rub off on them. :)

Denise at HoNeYcHiLd'S Custom Creations said...

love this idea...got me to thinking.

Camille said...

LOVE this post Carrie! I expecially like how you explained the resoning behind the TYPES of the the three gifts. We adopted this "wise man" principle in our home long ago and we really like it! The children then are prepared and do not have unrealistic expecations...wonderful!

Enjoy!!

Blessings to you!
In Him,
Camille

Life In a Little House said...

That is a great idea Thanks for sharing Love Heather

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Carrie. Your ideas for Christmas are good!

Wendi said...

Oh how I love this idea! I am going to print off this post and share it with my MIL. Thanks for sharing!

Tanya said...

Hi Carrie,
I just love this idea! What a wonderful new tradition to start! I don't have those grandbabies yet so that would be great to start to think about now! I'm so happy you are home safe and sound but oh my what a journey! I've heard altitude can really make a person feel bad. YUCK! When you said you were staying in your jammies and maybe hitting taco bell, that sounded so fun! I took down Fall today and have not gotten Christmas up yet. Need to clean in between. Thanksgiving was good and had a wonderful time with my husband's side. Very hard day missing my dad and my mom being in nursing home. We had a good time visiting her though and she is getting along pretty good. Just so different from one year ago. I do think time eases the pain. Tonight is a roaring fire and Christmas movie and popcorn...aaahhh...
Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving at your sister's and then at home. I'm enjoying those leftovers!
Enjoy your Saturday!
Love,
T

Tina G said...

I love this idea! Thank you for sharing!
I pray you're doing well and had a wonderful Thanksgiving day!

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

Oh what a lovely idea Carrie, it is one that is new to me so thanks for sharing ... I have a Christmas seminar to prepare for and will try to remember to share this with the mums (it's a pre-school music group which my church runs).
I have finally started on my Christmas preparations... made a silk flower wreath for my front window and some bon bons for the table.
Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Farmchick said...

Great post! :) Hoping your Thanksgiving was great. Stop by my blog -- would love for you to join in my Have a Holly Jolly Christmas Recipe Swap. :)

Megan Jenelle @ A Blossoming Homestead said...

Thank you so much for this post! My husband, sister-in-law, and I were just talking about this! Such a great idea! Thanks for explaining the meaning of each!
Have a blessed day!
~AFG
Megan Jenelle

Aliene said...

I love that idea. With so many to get for that sounds like a good thing. I love the way you explained each gift. I have been making home made gifts. But you have to start early with these.

Janet said...

I love your idea. I too was raised with many gifts at Christmas. Then I followed the tradition with my children and now with my grandchildren. I have already started my shopping but I love your idea.

Blessings!
Janet

Jackie said...

Carrie, I love this idea. Thanks for the explanations too! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Happy Monday!

Jackie

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details