Saturday, January 22, 2011

Mrs. Shindorf Has Taken Up Drinking~ A Miss Billie Story



Well, as you all know if you have been reading my post I spend Fridays driving Miss Billie. Miss Billie is close to hitting mid 80's and she is a spitting image of Miss Daisy in the movie. Well except for the fact that she dresses in style and has the most amazing taste in jewelry and clothes. She can be every bit as fiesty and I always give Miss Billie her way. She goes to her personal trainer twice a week and still drives her car but she would rather I drive. 


Miss Billie had an accident while she was voting in the November election. The accelerator on the gas pedal stuck and she went over an embankment~she was lucky she walked away unharmed. With the winter road conditions she has been relying on me a bit more. 


 ~Friday Miss Billie sent me to the store for groceries and on her list were two bottles of wine. Well if you know anything about us Baptist girls~ we don't want to be caught dead buying liquor at the local  Piggly Wiggly Market if you know what I mean. So after reading the list I start to work up a nervous sweat. I mean what in the world am I to do if one of my Sunday School girls show up watching me buy the very juice that I have warned them about. I could see it now~ "Pastor~ I saw Mrs. Shindorf buying  liquor at the local Piggly Wiggly." So what does a girl do? 


Why she calls her best friend~yep~ you guessed it~ I called my sister. She was no help~no help at all. I get to the store and I load all the groceries in my cart. I see about half the people who over the past 40 years  have left our church~ I am not kidding you. Then low and behold~ I see a little 20 something girl with wild color hair of all shades in a beauty school uniform. She smiles and says," Hello, Mrs. Shindorf." I had her in Sunday School in the 5th grade~she rode the bus to church for years. We spoke and I told her I had missed seeing her at church. Oh my~by now I am really sweating it. I tried to call my husband~ I am getting desperate. He just turned me off. He was in a meeting~which always happens when I really need him. I circle the store again. Who can I call to get me out of this mess. Well I could just lie and tell her they were out but she wanted two different kinds. Well last I checked lying was a sin too. Now I have already told Miss Billie why I don't drink. Maybe I should just not be such a coward and tell her ~ I can't buy her wine. But for goodness sakes she is old and tired and didn't they use wine for medical purposes back in the day? Oh boy by now I am really losing it. Miss Billie always gets her way~ have you ever watched driving Miss Daisy? Well then you just know what a mess I am in!
Want to know what I finally did?




I went to Miss Billie's favorite check out lady and told her~ "Sue ~ Would you please go get these two bottles of wine for Miss Billie and please sack them for me too?" She looked at me a little funny but she did it anyway. Thank goodness! So if you hear a rumor that Mrs. Shindorf has taken up drinking you know the rest of the story!


Hurry Spring!


13 comments:

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

LOL...Carrie! What a fun post and I TOTALLY understand your sticky situation being a good baptist children's church teacher :)

You Missouri folk had enough snow yet? We're getting MORE in Nebraska today.

Blessings!
Gail

Janis said...

You made me laugh out loud!!! Read your post to my husband and he had a good laugh too!
Totally relate....as a Baptist girl!!! And Piggly Wiggly....love it! We don't have one any longer and I miss it :(.
My dad had to drink a small amount of red wine each day for his major heart problems and he was to ill to drive himself so my husband and I
take him to the closest "wet" town which was just 3 miles to make the purchase. I was a nervous wreck, so what do I do. Sit in the car and ask my husband to take me dad in the liquor store. Oh, did I mention my husband was the chairman of the DEACONS at this time!!!! He didn't see anybody we knew....we were sweating too!
Have a blessed weekend!

~Janis

Robin's Roost said...

This is too funny!! It sounds like you came up with a good solution. I'll be sure to quench any rumors about you if I hear them. ;D

american girl primitives said...

Great story Carrie!

Aliene said...

Laughing! What a situation to be in. But it did give you a good post and us a good laugh. Plus a lot of sweating for you. Blessings on a good day!

Alex and Ashley said...

oh my goodness... lol... no words. why in the world didn't you tell me that story on the phone last night? I could have used a good laugh ya know! BUT, you saved it for my morning so that works too.
I love you Mom!!!

Tanya said...

That story should be a movie itself!!! I can just relate to what you were doing and how you were feeling and oh what to do???? You are very resourceful and I think you came up with the perfect solution! Did Brian get a kick out of it? You will now know EXACTLY what to do next trip to the store for Miss Billie! I'm so proud of you! HA!
Enjoy your weekend!

Lynn said...

Oh Carrie! That was such a fun read.....sorry it was at your expense. ; D
I would of been sweating too just like you......but you were so smart in the end. I am sure the Lord was helping you out in your "predicament".

What a funny story for your grandkids to read about someday.

MyJourneyBack said...

Oh my Mrs. Shindorf...you crack me up and made me blush. I love the ending to your story.
BTW I love the new look again! It seems everytime I come by you have snazzed thing sup a bit! Love your photo's.
Have a great week,
Sherry

Cheryl said...

What a story, laughed so hard. Being a Baptist girl I can completely relate to your situation. I once wanted to make my own vanilla. When we went to visit my dad I asked my dh to stop at a grocery store about 20 miles from our house to get the brandy for the vanilla. We went into the store and I looked at the liquor department and just couldn't go in. My sweetie got it for me. After I made the vanilla I dumped the rest of the brandy down the drain, no way could I have the bottle in my house. That was the one and only time I made vanilla.

Maria said...

I love your "Miss Billie" stories......I'm not a Baptist, but I completely understand! :)

Life In a Little House said...

Oh ehehehehehe!! That is to funny!! I am glad you figured the whole situation out and you seem to still have your reputation intact lol!! Another Great Miss Billie Adventure!! ~Have a wonderful weekend Love Heather

April said...

Funny!
I was in the same situation years ago. I worked at a pharmacy and the pharmacist sent me next door to Price Chipper to get a bottle of vodka. I about died. I saw about 50 people there that I knew.....

So, I snuck back to the pharmacy and called the order in, and asked them to have it all ready at the service counter because we were in a hurry....

The pharmacy uses high grade alcohol to mix some cough medications in, and also for making some compound ointments.

The pharmacist told me later the only reason he sent me to get it was to watch me squirm...

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details