Saturday, February 12, 2011

Chickens In The Road & In The Kitchen~ Oh My





Happy Saturday~
Oh I am so excited we are expected to hit 50 degrees today. It is time to bleach down the chicken coop. I know that may not sound so exciting to you but it does to me. During the summer I clean it once a week but in the winter~it is impossible to do. My Brian cleaned it for me last and it was about a month ago. So today my girls will be getting a house cleaning.  They will be so happy.

Hannah giving Sami a bath~she has a soft spot for Sami too!

Sami is all better and we are real tired of having her in the kitchen. We tried putting her out last Sunday but she acted sick again. My kids are sure she is pulling my leg. With the warmer temperatures for the next week~ I am hoping she will want to be back with her sisters and transition this time. 

Now to answer a few of your questions. 

Where does Sami live in the house?  In a big kennel. I put paper down and clean her cage one to two times a day depending on what is needed.

What about bugs? Yuck~ I know. Sami was given a dust bath ~ per the Vet~ before entering  the house just to make sure there are no extra guest coming into my clean house. I did not see any. You turn the chicken upside down and sprinkle her . It does work. It has been so cold here I am not sure little bugs could survive. ~
When necessary~she just gets a bath!
What in the world does your husband say about a chicken in the house?  I had a man tell me yesterday~ "I can't believe your husband lets you bring a chicken into that brand new house."  First of all My Brian brought home an alligator without asking his mom when he was just a boy. Second of all ~although he will not admit it~ he gives poor Sami a little more attention too. Sami  has become a pet more so than the other girls because she is handicapped.  So ~ he rolls his eyes and does not say a word~now is that love or what?




Sami is very tame and lets you know just what she wants. She loves treats and Hannah loves making her do tricks for them.  If you have never visited The Hen Cam~ you should. Terry Colson wrote a children's book about her chickens~ Tilly Lays An Egg. In her book are pictures of her actual chickens~ whom she taught all to do tricks. Chickens are easy to train because they will do just about anything for treats.

Click here to visit ~you will enjoy it I promise. Terry has helped me so much with my chickens. She is quite a gal!

Sami has been the talk all over the US in blog world. One follower in NY said when she went to MOPS~ all her friends were talking about Sami getting a bath. I was shopping in town one day and I had a friendly lady ask~ "Did you really give Sami a bath?" Well yes~ if she is coming in the house she had to have a bath!  Someday I think I will write a book about Sami~ she  has quite a story!


So there you have it ~ how this city girl turned into a chicken farmer.







"Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg"? 
Gen. 1:20-25
The Bible clearly answers this question.
God made all creation~ and told them to
be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth.
That plainly says the Chicken came first.
Just like Adam and Eve were first made adults and not babies.

Have a wonderful day!


9 comments:

Barbara said...

I love it Carrie, you have to be the only woman i know that gives her chickens a bath, in the house yet, lol you are very special, and I know Sami is very special to you, have a great day with your sweet little clean Sami, Hugs

Homeschool on the Croft said...

That is brilliant! It really made me chuckle .... and I needed that!
What a lucky hen that is. I can't imagine too make chooks getting that kind of treatment. x

Alex and Ashley said...

it's a good thing that your daughter who is not fond of animals no longer lives at home.

Julze said...

hehe...you sound just like me, Carrie. My bunnies and guinea pigs come in at night..I'm sure people must think I'm nuts because here in New Zealand, they live outside, even as pets. But I'm a big softie and I love having them indoors. Sami looks like she's enjoying her bath and being dries off with the hairdryer. She knows a good thing when she is living it...May the Lord bless you as you care for the things He Created for us to enjoy!

Marmee's Pantry said...

Very sweet that you hand raise little Sami. She's a cutie. Seems that it would be so soothing to hear her clucks & such through the night...it would almost make me 'homesick' not to hear them when she went back to the hen house.

Also, whenever someone asks me the 'chicken or the egg' question, I refer to that same verse!

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

Tanya said...

Carrie,
You are so tenderhearted and sweet. Sami is so special to you and your family. I love to see all those pictures. It is just amazing that she is so friendly and trainable. I know you are really happy the temps are going up. Isn't it wonderful?
I giggled at Ashley's comment! :0)
Tanya

gail said...

So sweet. Couldn't see the chick cam as all the chickadees were in bed as it is in the middle of the night over where you are. I'll try again later on tonight our time. Always love your blog.

Blessings Gail

The Owl Nest said...

Oh my - washing and blow drying a chicken: and I've been told my chickens are spoiled!!

LOL ;-D

I enjoyed your post.

Tilly's Nest said...

Hi Carrie! I am enjoying your blog. I would live to have a chicken in the house:). Not sure what my hubby would say... I am so glad that you enjoy chickens as much as me!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details