Thursday, March 24, 2011

How Safe Are Your Eggs?


These are some of my farm fresh eggs~ I just think these eggs are so cute. Something about eggs make us just think about new life. Eggs are a wonderful source of protein and are used in most everything we cook. But~


Did you know that any chicken can lay an egg one day that is just fine but one day may lay an egg that is infected with salmonella?



There's always some threat of salmonella poisoning from raw eggs. An infected hen can lay normal eggs and then occasionally lay an egg contaminated with salmonella. You will not be able to tell if an egg is infected by look or smell.
Salmonella enteritidis can infect the ovaries of healthy-looking hens and contaminate the eggs before the shells are formed.

Can I get sick from handling raw eggs contaminated with salmonella?
Yes, so wash your hands with soap and water after handling raw eggs. It's rare to develop salmonella poisoning from handling eggshells alone.
Can salmonella from raw eggs spread to other surfaces in the kitchen?
Yes. Disinfect (don't just wipe down) all surfaces that have come into contact with raw egg.
How should I store eggs?
Eggs should be refrigerated at 45 degrees or below. If an egg is stored properly, any salmonella in that egg will be less likely to grow.




**********************************************
Information Source~Wiki Answers.com



  • Eggs can remain edible for even longer than a month, but freshness (egg yolk that sits firm and high, and a thick viscous egg white) will be noticeably less after two weeks. 

    If eggs start out as Grade AA, they remain AA for only two weeks if properly refrigerated. After that, they'll be Grade A for another 2 weeks. 

  • Here is a true test of freshness: Get a bowl of cold water. Put the whole egg in the water. If it sinks, it's fresh; if it floats to the top, it is old. It will kind of lay almost on its side. You can see the age of it by how much it floats. It's a good idea to do this test before selling any eggs if you suspect they are older than two weeks. 

    However, by putting the eggs in water, you wash away the bloom from the egg, a protective layering that prevents bacteria from entering the egg. Therefore, unless you are not expecting to keep the eggs for very long, you should not put them in water. If you must wash the eggs, use HOT running water. 
  • Farmers have 30 days from the day an egg is laid to get it to stores. Then, the stores have another 30 days to sell the eggs. The USDA recommends a maximum of 5 weeks in your refrigerator before you discard your eggs. What does this all boil down to? On April 1, you could be eating an egg that was laid on Christmas.
  • Many eggs in the U.S. get to market within a few days of laying. If there is a USDA shield on the carton, it must have at least a Julian pack date. A use-by is not required, but if used, it must not be more than 45 days from packing. If the eggs are not distributed interstate, state laws will apply and are variable. 
  • Keep in mind that farmers generally get their eggs to stores within a week, and both the "pack date" and "sell by" date are stamped onto the carton. The numbers run from 1-365, depending on the day of the year. Lastly, there is a big difference in taste between farm fresh eggs and week-old eggs. If you want the freshest eggs, you can buy from a local farmer. 

  • There is an expiration date on the carton. If in doubt, put the egg in water. If it floats, do not use it. 

  • Eggs last about 4-5 weeks in your refrigerator. If you don't know how long the egg has been in the refrigerator, fill a cup with water (enough to cover the egg), and put the egg in the cup. If the egg sinks to the bottom, it is still good to eat; if the egg floats, however, it is bad and should be discarded.

Eggs are a wonderful source of nutrition and should not be avoided ~however to prevent getting sick eggs should be cooked properly. My research found that cooking an egg until both the yellow and white are firm is the safest way to cook an egg. 





**I found this video~ How To Tell If Your Eggs Are Good~ **
Turn off music at the bottom of blog before starting the video!


13 comments:

Marmee's Pantry said...

Terrific information! Thanks for sharing. For several years, now, I've gotten my eggs & milk from a local Old Order German Baptist (they live like Amish) farmer. I get a lot of double yolks! :-P I pay $1.75 per dozen for my eggs, we sell 'farm-fresh' eggs at the health food store I work at for $2.49 from 1 farm & $2.69 from another. Everytime I sell them I'm thinking to myself, "Oh, if you only knew where I get my lovely eggs from & how much I pay for them!!!!" But, of course, I can't tell them at work. :-/

Have a great day, Carrie!

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

pilgrimscottage said...

All the more reason we are getting our own hens!

Barbara said...

Very interesting, and something to really watch, my eggs are always washed and stored in the fridge, my friend now just leaves them on the counter, I am not keen on that idea. Thanks for the info, hugs Barbara

momoflots said...

Very interesting. I wash my eggs if they are very dirty - sometimes my hens aren't as neat and tidy as I'd like :)!! I have heard in Europe they don't refrigerate their eggs at all - they just leave them on the counter because of tiny living spaces - therefore tiny fridges. That's hard for me to imagine!!

Sweet Magnolias Farm said...

Living in the city as we do it is almost impossible to get FRESH eggs. Most people have never tasted the goodness of a farm fresh laid egg. They actually have flavor compared to the tasteless mass produced oval objects that stores pass off as eggs. We even buy cage free, antibiotic free, range free, grain fed, but there is still something lacking as they have no taste. Anyway YUM to a good ole farm fresh egg. And thank you for the info. I will keep it all as I cook eggs everyday.
Sweet Blessings, Abbey

Domestic Goddess said...

I've read many articles and recipes that suggest bringing your eggs to room temperature before using.
I don't wash my eggs anymore before I store them and I tell anyone who buys them why I don't wash them and I have even copied articles and handed them out with the eggs.

Dollwood Farms said...

Good information, but I have a couple of questions. If it floats, it is totally bad? Could you hard boil it?
Also, fresh eggs should NOT be washed to protect the 'bloom', but what about washing in hot water that you stated above? (maybe I misread?) Also, how do you get them clean if you can't wash them?
I am contemplating getting chickens, but this part of having the eggs really scares me. If you DO wash one, do you have to use it right then and there or can you put it in the fridge for a day or two? Sorry, more than a couple of questions.
Thanks.

Carrie of Farming On Faith said...

I wash mine before I put them in the fridge if they need it. I have read all the articles but I just have to wash any pooh that may be on them. We eat or give away ours quickly. I would throw away any that float. It is is better to be safe than sorry.

Nezzy said...

Hubs and I were talkin' about this just last night and neither of us know how we survived our childhoods. Back in the day, Mom would gather the eggs from our chickens and store them in large egg crates...this would take a week. On town day Mom would sell her eggs at the local MFA. These eggs were never refrigerated until they hit the market. Why didn't we die???

My Granny Walden would cook for farm hands and serve the meal which usually included fried chicken on her large kitchen table. When the meal was finished she would throw a table cloth over everything and let it sit on the table for the supper meal. This took place in the summer months, without air conditioning. Why didn't we die???

I could go on and on here. I should of been poisoned time and time again yet here I am.

God bless ya and have a marvelous day sweetie!!!

Dollwood Farms said...

Yep, when you think about it, what did they do BEFORE we had refrigerators??? Thanks for all the advice too! I love the new banner, very spiffy!!

Cary Ann said...

I do not wash my eggs either, but have left them out a day or two. All good tips on checking if a egg is old or not. I try to date my cartons so that I remember but if in doubt I do the float test as well. hope you have a wonderful Friday :)

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

I keep my eggs in a basket on the bench but I also work with the motto 'fresh eggs daily' - with a big family I find I use up most of our eggs within a day or two! I do a lot of baking and always use eggs at room temperature. If the eggs do start to pile up I refrigerate them and use up the older ones first. I've been looking into food safety recently with my daughter's plans to set up a dessert business. She is hoping to find a certified kitchen in our community as she cannot bake out of our home. Eggs are one of the 'risk' foods so she cannot use our eggs and will have to buy store bought ones which I can understand but have to say it is the fresh free-range eggs that make all the difference to her cakes and desserts!
The only time I have had food poisoning was from consuming restaurant and deli food - nothing I have ever prepared at home has caused us any ill effects. I must share my funny story about contracting salmonella at my blog sometime - it wasn't funny at the time of course but we are still friends with the people from church who bought those darn contaminated chicken wings to our home fellowship that night! And obviously, we lived to tell the tale!

Melissa A. said...

Fresh farm eggs are the best. Period. I get mine here local for $1.50 a dozen and go through 2 dozen a week. Great info, thanks for sharing!!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details