Monday, March 14, 2011

Time To Spring Clean The Coop~ Life Gets Messy!


Click on the picture to join in on the Barn Hop!



Life Gets Messy~

 With warm temps my chicken coop has defrosted. You guessed it ~chicken poo~ mud~ and muck. I walked into the girl's house and my handy, dandy chicken farmer boots squished. Well one thing you must know about keeping healthy chickens is that they must stay dry.NO~this just will not do!


What a mess!





Nosy girls watching from above~
This would be handy~dandy chicken poo. Any ideas on what I can do with chicken poo?


I raked. I shoveled. I bleached. I scraped. I did all this for about an hour. As I have shared before being a chicken farmer is not for the squeamish~that's for sure. Although I am not squeamish in the least I wore disposable gloves all the same!

I am trying to clean here~but they all wanted to see what I was up to.
They wanted to be in my way!


Layla was in one of the nesting boxes squawking because she was laying her egg for the day. She refused to get out ~she was squawking at me the whole time. They are very modest about laying~they would rather no one watch ~Momma Hen and siblings are not welcome to observe. I guess I can understand!







Finally~ Good job, Layla!

Layla finally lays her egg but still refuses to leave. Nope she wants to sit on her egg.
That is fine and dandy but they all want to lay in the same box for some reason. They have four nesting boxes. Sadie wanted to lay her egg too. So they argued and fused for awhile. I tried to referee but to no avail. Sadie finally jumps in with her and lays her egg in seconds and jumps out. No fooling around for her.

Look at the coop now. I have had those who tease me about cleaning my coop. 
Would you rather have breakfast from the mess above or this nice clean coop?
Not to mention I walk in this coop several times a day.
Nope~ my girls sure like it when it is all clean. 

What is the reward for all my work? A clean coop~happy girls and two eggs. 
What more could a girl ask for?
 Maybe a bubble bath!!!!!

16 comments:

Jamie said...

Good Morning Mama Carrie~We have been busy working out in the barn.We have been cleaning out the coops and trying to add more little coops for the other chickens.We are getting three pygmy goats soon so we are moving the Silkies into an new area.We have been busy hatching and selling silkies.
lol
Blessings~

pilgrimscottage said...

Do you have a garden? We use chicken poo for our garden as manure fertilizer. Works great! I'm sure your chickens appreciate when you do your spring cleaning in their coop! Keeping a coop clean is definitely good.

Jill @ The Prairie Homestead said...

I just cleaned our coop too! Sure feels good to have a fresh start! :) Thanks for sharing this with the Homestead Barn Hop!

Amy @ Homestead Revival said...

Although I clean out the coop at the first of every month (Opps - I should say my daughter who is assigned that duty - I supervise and help a bit), I'm gearing up to do a major clean out in April before the chicks arrive so I can sanitize it. Not really looking forward to the work, but isn't it nice when it's all done? Love your curtain!

Thanks for linking to the Barn Hop!

Mrs.B said...

LOVE it. :)

odiie said...

Our coop is just starting to defrost. The poo and smell is at it's peak. My children really don't like cleaning the thing. :o)
We have about two weeks to go before we can clean the whole thing. I like doing it in stages. And then my birds free range all summer, so their coop never gets used much. Stays clean a long time.

Cary Ann said...

I greatly dislike cleaning of the coop as well (errr...I mean helping my hubby with the cleaning of the coop). I wear gloves, a face mask, and rubber boots..LOL. I'm sure I look a sight to people driving down the road who see me :) We use our poo for the garden as well. You did a great job and sure they were proud of their new clean home :) Hope you have a great day.

dogsmom said...

Did you see the Dirty Jobs episode where Mike was cleaning out the chicken factory farm? If not you have to find it and watch. After that you will appreciate your task a lot more.

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

We recently cleaned out the coop or should I say the children did! The old straw gets mixed in with our compost and goes onto garden beds. I love walking into the chicken shed once all the new straw is in there and our chickens seem to like it too. This is our third flock and the healthiest we have ever had. They came from an organic poultry farm. They have all been faithfully laying throughout our hot, wet summer - so its a dozen eggs a day which I have to say I am using up - it goes without saying that omelettes are a regular on the lunch menu!

Patty said...

No envy from me ~ but your finished job looks neat and cozy for your chicks. Hope your having a good day. Enjoy your eggs!

Gone Country said...

We cleaned our coop out too! Must be something in the air!

If you have a garden, the chicken poo will work nicely in there. We add it to our compost pile.

Nice job! Happy chickens lay more eggs!

The Owl Nest said...

I like a nice clean Hen House and so do my chickens; I clean my HH once a week rain or shine and the HH straw goes into my garden areas :-)Hubby didn't think I'd do it every week, but I promised that if I could have chickens to raise for eggs and meat I'd keep them and their place of residence clean and tidy, so I do. This year is our third flock, and now my farm boy is getting a kick out our chickens he didn't experience as a boy. Chickens are here to stay - YAY!

The Hen Pen is another story - it gets spread with clean straw periodically from Spring to Spring and raked completely clear of old straw every Summer - this gooey ick goes into my vegetable plot; then a thick layer of fresh straw gets put down in the HP.

The chickens stay clean and dry, the eggs are clean for gathering, and the neighbors aren't complaining because of chicken stink, and my clean chicken environment has won my husband back to considering farm life again: all together it has become a win-win situation for all of us.

Sue said...

From one chicken keeper to another... great job, Carrie, and I know the girls appreciate it too. Now I must make plans for our cleanup.
Sue

Boho Farm and Home said...

I hope your using all the bedding and chicken poop for compost. It makes the best dirt for growing veggies! xo caroline

smiller said...

Oh Carrie, such a cute post. I won't be able to clean and sanitize my coop for maybe a month. It is still so cold and sometimes snowy here in sweet Idaho.
I loved reading from other bloggers that they use the poo for gardens. I have been throwing mine my garden all winter and hoped it would be ok. I told my honey we should sell it. lol. I would like to ask all you posting friends, when it comes time to plant the garden how do I keep the girls out. They ate all my corn seed and pea blossoms last year. Does this mean I now need to put up a fence. the price of eggs will be 29.5 a dozen. 'lol
love ya, your blog gives me so much peace.

Our Cedar Cottage said...

My handy dandy boots are pink! I bought them for digging out my Dad's well last Fall. They're getting daily duty here when I walk the muddy road between our house and my parents'. I'm sure they'll be doubly valuable after our (first flock of!) chickens arrive in May. :D I really like your blog and arrived here through the Barn Hop.

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details