Saturday, April 30, 2011

Driving Miss Billie~ A Salad Bowl


Friday as you know is my driving Miss Billie day. Yesterday we ventured to Lowes and they had every kind of  flower you could imagine~ they were reaching well into the sky. Miss Billie thought she had died and gone to Heaven~they were so beautiful.

 As we strolled along the isle and discussed the proper feeding and care of each flower~ I took in all the knowledge of a lifetime of gardening that she passed along to me. Miss Billie is a creature of habit. She has been buying her flowers from ACE Hardware for 50 years. She was pleasantly surprised at all the the big chain store had to offer.

 It was a wonderful day and one I will store away in my memories forever. As we walked along we were discussing the Royal Wedding which prompted her to tell me about all the Royal Weddings she has watched in the past decade. Wow~was that ever interesting.  She is a walking history book for sure. 

Miss Billie does not like the casual appearance of today! " Why it looks like people are dressed to go to bed most of the time"~she said. Which led us into a conversation about proper attire. We begin to discuss all the beautiful hats that were worn to the wedding.  To which Miss Billie gave me another lesson. Did you know that  it was once our custom to wear hats in our country too.~(which I had known most people would wear them to church in days of old.)  Well~ That is until John F. Kennedy appeared at his inauguration with a bare head. Miss Billie said, " He sure was a fine looking man." I think she had a little crush on him~tehe. Up until that time even men wore hats out in public, to church and to town.  From that day forward men took off their  hats and the women in our country soon followed.  I think it is kind-of of shame. I sure did think all those hats were wonderful. 

Miss Billie proceeded to tell me that the year that the Queen was born was a monumental year. Queen Elizabeth was born in April, Miss Billie was born in May and Marilyn Monroe was born in June. " What a splendid year indeed." ~Miss Billie said. Oh what a fun day we had!




***********************

Back to the  Salad Bowl~ I was not about to pay $14.99 for a bowl of lettuce but decided it sure would be cute on my patio table and nice for salads too. So I went to the Dollar Store and bought a Salad Bowl  and planted Salad Mix seeds in my bowl. Mine is not pretty yet but it will be soon. Such a cute idea!

5 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I could walk around greenhouses for hours and never get bored! Beauty at every turn!

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

I am in agreement with Miss Billie about casual attire. As I watched the Royal Wedding I noticed that those in the crowds had not made much of an effort to dress up. They may have been wearing plastic hats and waving flags but so many were in their jeans and track pants even in Kate's home town which had put on a big celebration. So disappointing. I have been to weddings and seen invited guests dressed like they were going to a football game! However there were a few older ladies I did see who had donned hats and were in their 'Sunday best'. Would love to know what Miss Billie thought of the various hats worn by the guests - particuarly Fergie's daughters. Did you see that one - she looked liked she was wearing antlers!

Julze said...

Sounds like a lovely day...I love visiting garden centres too (In fact, I used to work in one)

I look forward to seeing pics of your salad bowl, Carrie.

Flat Creek Farm said...

So funny you posted about the salad bowl. I visited hubs at work yesterday and took him some coffee (yup, he works in that store you mentioned ;)). He even walked around with me in the lawn and garden dept. I fell in love with that salad bowl! And asked the price, and promptly changed my mind.. lol Our store had it at $13-something though. Still too much for me! Love your DIY idea for this... pics please when it gets pretty! -Tammy p.s. always enjoy your Miss Billie posts!

Trace4J said...

What a wonderful day with Miss Billie. And awesome idea about the salad bowl..Or even a salad basket with one I already have. :)
Happy Sonday!!
Granny Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details