Friday, April 8, 2011

Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap Recipe~ SAVE $$$


~Welcome~ 
Farmgirl and Farm Friend Friday Friends
I am so glad you are here!

Who doesn't need to save some money with the way prices are rising at the gas pumps to the grocery isle?  Here is a huge way I am saving money!

I have been making all my own cleaners and laundry soap for three years. I can't tell you how much money I save. Now ~ if you happen to see me in the grocery isle and I have a store bought cleaner it is because I have a good coupon that may even be free~lol. Often times I use it with my homemade ingredients to stretch them even further. It saves so much time~I make less stops at the Market!

 Perhaps~the greatest savings has been making my own laundry soaps.

 I get many questions~ so here goes the list of answers~
 I do have a HE Washing Machine. Our clothes are very clean and smell good. I do have a septic system~ my plumber said these ingredients are the safest to use. I buy all all my scents on-line at Nature's Garden Candle Supply. I save a lot of money! They really work!


So today I am featuring my Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap~


 1 bar  Fels Naptha Soap (grated finely)
1 box Washing Soda
1 box Borax

*Optional~ add one box of favorite store bought powdered soap for scent.*

Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.
Use 2 tablespoons per full load.








Fabric Softener Recipe

1 cup vinegar
2 cups hair conditioner  ( I used Suave's new Wild Cherry Blossom this time)
6 cups of water

Mix all this together. You may use this like any other Fabric Softener.

 If you prefer dryer sheets you can try this~I diluted this down with water~ 3 parts water, 1 part softener. I then poured it into this glass container.  Next I added  sponges.  For each load~ wring out the sponge and add to the dryer as you would fabric sheets.  I added a few drops of  Downy scent!  Smells wonderful!

***I buy my scent at Natures Garden Candle Supplies. Due to copyright laws the scent is now called NG Clean Breeze.  Click Here!****



* I promise they really work~give them a try!

Here is a link to all my homemade cleaners~  Click here!

15 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing this. I am nervous about the Fels as it is made from petro chemicals. I use Zote instead as it is made from plants. It has a slight lemon smell.

How do you get your soap fine so it will dissolve? Do you run it thru a mill or blender?

Monica said...

Carrie,
I have also tried the laundry soap in liquid form. I love it! I keep all the supplies stored up in the event that the store shelves become bare...I have never tried the fabric softer... will be trying it in the near future. Thanks a bunch!

Jo~ said...

Enjoy my laundry soap very much Carrie, I have just have book marked all of your cleaning recipes . thank you so much for taking the time to share.
Enjoy your weekend. Hope spring has finally showed up at your door, I believe it has finally decided to stay at mine. lol
Sue

Anonymous said...

What do you do about static? I've been using your recipe for fabric softener and can't deal with the static. I just bought a bottle of Downey to try half & half to see if that helps.
I use basically the same laundry detergent except I add 1/2 c. of Oxi Clean to each batch.
Love your blog, just haven't figured out the whole "follower" thing. Rest assured I check on you daily

Lynn said...

THANK you Carrie for sharing all your homemade cleaner recipes with us. I truly appreciate tried and true recipes. I will be making quite a few of them today. Have a wonderful Spring clean!

Tamara said...

Thanks for sharing this! i am going to try it this weekend.

Trace4J said...

Wow..How great is that.I have front loader and septic..So I was nervous about homemade laundry detergent and you put all my questions to rest. Can't wait to try!
Thanks
Granny Trace
www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Tanya said...

Hi Carrie,
Thanks so much for posting your info! I love the green in your laundry room! My favorite color!
I'm going to try the powdered laundry soap...do you just grate the Fels Naptha Soap...Never heard of it...can I get it at Wally World? I keep my dry soap in a glass jar as well!
Happy Lord's Day....
Tanya

Teresa said...

What a great idea! I might have to try this.

Down On The Farm said...

How much of the powdered laundry soap do you use per load? Do you use one bar fels naptha or two? I'm thinking two bars would be two cups but not certain? And, how much powdered laundry detergent do you mix with your homemade mix? Sorry for the all the questions :)? Have a WONDERFUL DAY!!

Sandra Henderson said...

I have been making it for several years now, did a tutorial on the liquid i use, and the homemade spray starch recipe, but make it in liquid form. Ill have to try this.

FHCS said...

I've been making the homemade laundry soap for a few years now but have never made the fabric softener so thank you for the recipe...I love saving money when ever and where ever I can and the blogoverse sure is a great place to get ideas on how to do it. Thank you for your post on the GBP giveaway at FHCS, you are on my sidebar too. Happy Spring! Take care, Dee

Deborah Jean at Dandelion House said...

Hi Carrie! New post blog hop link is up for this week.. Thanks so much for this entry..I gave you a little shout out in my post this week!
Have a wonderful week...
Deb

I love your music by the way! Been listening to it as I put up my post for this weeks hop!

notes of sincerity said...

I am a new follower to your blog and was so excited to find this recipe. I just purchased Charlie's soap and love it, but have not tried a homemade fabric softener. I purchased the vinegar but had not heard of putting hair conditioner inside of it. Thank you so much for sharing with us!!
Sincerely, Trish

Moirayne said...

What about using Zote white soap, can you use the whole bar, even though it is bigger? 15 oz vs the 5.5oz fels?

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details