Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Today Is National Toasted Marshmallow Day



Yesterday I thought it was Toasted Marshmallow Day~ but I was wrong. It is today. I sent a text to My Brian and asked him to stop and get some on his way home from work last night so we could toast them over a fire by the pond. And guess what? ~He did. I really did not think he would! Now that is love. I just love a reason to celebrate~ ask my family. Last night we sat by the pond and enjoyed toasting marshmallows. With Summer almost over it is a perfect time for some old fashioned marshmallow toasting.

The history of marshmallows goes back to ancient Egypt. The Pharaohs would squeeze the mallow plants and eat the sweet extract that came out of the plant. Later in the 19th century marshmallows evolved to be the delicious treats we know and love today.

Gooey and sugary, marshmallows are just a good way to end summer. So today grab a bag and head outside to toast  marshmallows and celebrate! Summer won't be here much longer!


Psalm 34:8

King James Version (KJV)

 8O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.


I like toasted marshmallows in my hot chocolate~ what is your favorite way to eat marshmallows?



And while we are being all sugary why not spread some sweet ~sugary ~ kind words to those we meet today.


"Kind words do not cost much. They never blister the tongue or lips. Though they do not cost much, the accomplish much. They make other people good-natured. They also produce their own image in 
other men's souls, and a beautiful image it is." - Blaise Pascal


Proverbs 15:23

A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it!



12 comments:

beforethedawn said...

My kids love any kind of marshmallow. I never really did. I like them in smores, and a few in hot cocoa. Or mixed in treats, like rice krispies. ;)

Our current family verse is Proverbs 16:24 "Kind words are like honey, they cheer you up and make you feel strong."

Blessings, Jessica
http://blessingsinthecountry.com/

April said...

We love marshmallows in s'mores and rice krispie treats. We also found a new way to enjoy them recently, in fudge! It was the first time I've ever had a successful batch of fudge that set up. *Recipe on my blog* Love the verses you used to go with your post today. :)

Boho Farm and Home said...

Marshmallows in hot cocoa all the way!
Love the Blaise Pascal quote too!
xoxo
Caroline

Nell said...

When I was a kid, my mom made us "fluffer-nutter" sandwiches made with peanut butter and marshmallow cream. I remember it being yummy but very messy!

My absolute favorite way to eat marshmallows is in a S'more made with Reese's Peanut butter cups. Good stuff!!

Have a great day!
Lynell

no spring chicken said...

I had no idea there was such a thing as national toasted marshmallow day.. sounds like as good a reason to celebrate as any!!

We actually celebrated yesterday (without knowing). :)

Blessings, Debbie

Marmee's Pantry said...

OK...so you start the fire & bring the marshmallows & I'll bring the chocolate & graham crackers! See ya in a few minutes! :-P

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

Sue said...

I didn't know there was a National Toasted Marshmallow Day, how cool is this. When family comes we always end their trip with a camp fire and toasted marshmallows.
And your thoughts about kind words so great, as always thank you for all that you share and do in blogland, I know when I visit I will always leave... with you sharing much sweetness.
Sue

Trace4J said...

Very cool post friend!
I love marshmallows anyway they are served!
Blessings Trace
www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Chelle said...

My children love marshmellows. We roast them on our patio My husband built us a fire pit. Love to have smores. Thanks for sharing I didn't even know there was a day.

Jane said...

I love toasted marshmallows in s'mores--graham crackers and chocolate sandwiches. Encouraging words are always sweet, too.

Have a blessed day!

Jane
frugalfineliving.com
Join us on Facebook!

Cary Ann said...

We LOVE to roast marshmallows too! I was reading the comments people left you and got some great new ideas :)
Many Blessings,
Cary Ann

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh we bought marshmallows yesterday...and we were studying the letter M...now I need to tell my son it was marshmallow day

We were also going over the Pharaoh...as in leaving Egypt and pyramids..so I will tell him that also...thanks for sharing, it added to our school day.

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details