Monday, September 3, 2012

Contentment On This Labor Day~Another Lesson From The Amish




My Jamesport Amish neighbors seem so peaceful and content living in their small community.   A lesson I learned ~It was our last stop of the day. I had already spent more money than I wanted but I wanted to get stocked for the winter~ Holiday baking and found so many good deals at the scratch and dent store to stock up our pantry. Of course I ate at the Gingeriches ~homemade yummy food~ with some of my favorite people. Talk about content~ I had the best time.  


 At the Amish Country Store I had finished my shopping and wrote my check.  I then remembered I forgot to pay for a watermelon~ they were outside and I wanted to pick one up as I went out the door. I had used all my cash and did not want to write a check for $2.99. As I am saying to myself~ "Oh, I forgot to pay for a watermelon~ the cutest little Amish boy I have ever seen at the register said, "Oh that's okay~ you just take one." To which I assured him I could not do. But he then said, "No really, it would make me happy if you just took one." He was serious~ and the way he said it I just had to take one. You could tell the last thing on his mind was making a dollar. He wanted to be giving and had such a generous spirit. I thought to myself~ his parents must have passed that on to him for he did not ask to give it away~ he just did so freely. His Momma and Dad have done a fine job raising him.  That little guy blessed my socks off. 


 I have never met a more contented people than the Amish. I leave convicted to live a more simple life and determine to not get caught up in this old world every time I leave there.  After all~ God saved me out of this world! 

I am thankful I can  have confidence in my God's economy!


There is talk everywhere about our economy and the mess our country finds itself in this very day. Sometimes I just think if we all could go back to basics and live a more simple ~plain life~ being content we could all make a dent in this huge debt crisis we are in. The economy is struggling and the cost of living seems to be going up every week I go to the Grocery Store. Many have lost jobs and some are increasingly anxious about their livelihood.  Is it possible to even heed our Lord Jesus' teachings in Matthew 6:25?



Matthew 6:25

King James Version (KJV)

 25Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?





Our Lord was not giving us permission not to work~ oh no! He was not saying we are not to eat~ in fact we all know that we are mostly all on a every four hour feeding schedule to keep us happy.

 He is not saying that we should go out not caring how we dress in any old rags. He is warning us that these things should not consume us~ becoming so important that we become slaves to them instead of trusting him. 

Seeking the kingdom of God first~and His righteousness is recognizing that no matter how much effort we expend to make a better live for ourselves and our families ~ultimately it is the Lord who takes care of our needs. 

Money only serves us well if we receive it as God's provision.

Matthew 6:24

King James Version (KJV)

 24No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.


I hope you have a contented Labor Day! God is good and we can trust Him!



12 comments:

Mrs.C said...

Good Morning sweet friend! Finally making some "rounds" today, checking in w/ blog friends. Love this post and the reminder of being content w/ the provision God gives us. Discontentment happens when we want more and strive for more than what God has appointed for us. This old world tries to make us think "things" will make us happy, but we know better, right?

melanie said...

Awww, sweet. How refreshing! : )

Eileen @ My Evergreen Place said...

The Amish have always made me wish to live a more simple life. Not just for me, but for our whole country. Thanks for writing this post, Carrie. It reminded me that placing our faith in our Lord is where we should be standing steadfast and true.

Barbara said...

Yes Carrie they have learned the secret to happy living, being content with what they have, not always looking for bigger and better, keeping their eyes on Jesus. It does bring peace and contentment. Hugs my friend

Treasures Evermore said...

Oh Carrie...you have blessed me with this post...after what I posted on my blog this morning...I feel like God just gave me a special gift so that I could breathe today through your blog.

Thank you, thank you for sharing this....it felt like God just gave it to me...I wasn't sure how to breathe today....and your words and scripture were like sweet honeycomb to my spirit this morning.

Have a blessed labour day weekend.

Connie

Gone Country said...

I couldn't agree with you more! My husband & I are striving to achieve that simple, plain life. We've disconnected our satellite TV, planning and improving our garden space, adding chickens soon and eventually bees and goats. We want to become as self-sufficient as possible in this crazy world that we live in.

Great post!

Sue said...

What a wonderful and timely post as we celebrate this Labor Day weekend, Carrie, This scripture is one I have relied on so many times, and I truly believe if we lived more simply everyone would be so much happier, and contented. We would also depend more on the Lord for our needs, and be more willing to share as this young man did. time when neighbors cared and helped one another.
Have a blessed weekend.
Sue

Heather said...

Oh that is really sweet. If only we all did not have that attitude not just contentment but the sharing of our abundance as well. We would be wealthy in a different way now wouldn't we!! Sounds like a very nice day. I am wondering when we get back to the U.S. what I will miss the most. I do think it will be getting in the car and having a day like you did just shopping and visiting favorite places and such and being around people that actually talk to you!! Although my husband found me a store that sells art supplies and you can go there and paint do ceramics and such and the people there were so nice they actually spoke to me and where very friendly No one talks to me here because first off I am a women and then I am an American makes me not very popular lol!! so I can't wait to go back I think I would love to try ceramics. ~Enjoy your weekend hard to believe fall is just around the corner. I can't wait for my stuff to get here I packed all my seasonal country decorations it will be fun pulling those out ~Love Heather

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

Thank you for sharing about your trip Carrie. I loved hearing about your gift of a watermelon from this young man - talk about customer service!
I watched a documentary 'Leaving Paradise' the other weekend about two families that have left the Amish. It was a follow up story to one I watched a couple of years ago. It was very interesting to see how they were adjusting to life outside of the tight knit community they had lived in but very sad too as they had been shunned. They continued to hold onto simple values but had new freedoms which included being able to buy a car and having their own Bibles in English. I learned quite a lot about the Amish I did not know including how they give their young men a 'wild' period. My son walked in at that point and did not believe me when I told him that the young guys doing burnouts in a car lot in very flash cars were Amish boys!
Hope you are having a blessed weekend - and will you be joining Ashley and me on Pinterest soon? I love it almost as much as blogging! Love your new header too.

NanaNor's said...

Hi Carrie, I love your header-it screams Fall to me. I love all things Amish and have gone to several Amish areas but wish there were more closer to home. I love the simple life as well, what wonderful values that the parents have instilled in their son-enjoy that watermellon. Hugs to you today,
Noreen

mountain mama said...

i love this post...i often dream of a more simple life...making changes everyday in that direction.

what a lesson there is the free watermelon...i wish a lot more adults had a giving spirit like that wise young man!!

blessings~

Cindy Mcgough said...

Your post blessed me!

Cindy

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details