Monday, September 19, 2011

The Ups and Downs Of Life~



Most of us with any grey in our hair would have to admit life has its ups and downs. This past week my heart has known grief as it never has as I said Farewell to my Daddy. My father was a very broken man with addictions but there was a time he received Jesus as his Saviour and he had made his reservation in Heaven. We talked about it many times.

When I was young and just starting out~ I thought I had it all figured out. I was going to play this game of life as a "Spiritual Giant"~ I would do it better than my parents did. I was on fire and I was so determined to do it different. After all my parents had made many mistakes.  I thought I had all the answers ~that God had given me insight beyond that of my parents and generations before me. SO I marched off to Bible College with vigor. You see that was my first mistake. God taught me a whole life full of lessons. First that I was prideful in my thinking. I now know God hates pride and the parents He gives us is His divine plan for our lives. They are God's perfect plan for our lives and they deserve to be respected! The youthful would be wise to learn and listen to avoid making many foolish mistakes. God taught me that the sin of my pride was wrong through many of life's ups and downs.


Solomon’s father, David, was called “a man after [God’s] own heart” (1 Sam. 13:14; Acts 13:22). Yet David’s life illustrates how life is filled with seasons of ups and downs. David wept over his and Bathsheba’s first child who was fatally ill (2 Sam. 12:22). Yet he also wrote songs of praise and joyous laughter (Ps. 126:1-3). With the death of his rebellious son Absalom, David experienced a time of deep mourning (2 Sam. 18:33). And when the ark was brought to Jerusalem, David, in spiritual ecstasy, danced before the Lord (2 Sam. 6:12-15).


We really have things all turned upside down when we portray that this Christian life is always peaceful and happy. The Bible clearly shows time and time again that the believer's life is a season of ups and downs.  But whether we are in a time of sadness or we are up on the mountain this morning~ each season should motivate us to seek the Lord and know that we can trust Him~ for He makes no mistakes.


My faith still holds even in this time of weeping. God is good and He can be trusted! 




5 comments:

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

OH Carrie, so sorry for your loss!! But you got it right, we are not perfect, we make mistakes but it's all in his plan!! I lost my parents years ago so I know your pain, but keep your Dad close in prayer and memories! Hugs!!

Treasures Evermore said...

This is such a wonderful post Carrie...oh yes, there are up's and downs in life for sure.

Dh and I were just talking about why we have the parents we do...why we were born in Canada...in the year we were????? Why God chose us for such a time as this to be born...why not during the Bible times.

We had no answers...but we have today and we are asked to serve Him today..exactly where we are...and with the parents he gives us. Regardless of how many mistakes we think and know our parents have made....I probably have made more...and it's a very sober and humbling thing....and oh yes...pride is something that God despises...and in my day, I have been knocked off my high pedestal more times than I want to admit. But my heavenly Father always fogives and teaches me many lessons in the process.

Thanks for sharing this post as it has me in deep thinking this morning.

Praying for you as I know you continue to grieve and will for a long time.

Holding you in prayer,
Connie

Sandra Henderson said...

I am SO sorry to come for a visit and find this news. I still miss my daddy after SO MANY years... I guess it's been 18 or so now... still seems like yesterday sometimes. It won't go away, but it will get easier to accept as time goes by. I'm glad that you have the comfort in knowing that he accepted Jesus Christ as his Savior and is truly HOME now. XO

Marmee's Pantry said...

Amen, dear sister. Praying with & for you.

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Sorry for your loss. I still have both my parents, but my husband has lost both his Mum and his Dad... they cannot be replaced. Take time to mourn - mourning is not the same as not accepting God's will...
Blessings, Anne x

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details