Friday, October 11, 2013

The Pumpkin Man~




In the city of Colorado Springs, people called Nick Venetucci “The Pumpkin Man.” Every autumn for 50 years, he invited thousands of school children to visit his farm along the banks of Monument Creek, pick a free pumpkin, and take it home. Nick loved walking through his fields with the kids, helping them find “just the right one.”
The principal of the local elementary school, which was named in Venetucci’s honor, said, “He taught our kids the definition of generosity. He gave, gave, gave, and never expected anything in return.” When Nick died at the age of 93, the community saluted him as a hero because of his kind and generous spirit


The Pumpkin man shared the fruits of his labor because he wanted to be giving. The Bible encourages us to be giving people. Are you stingy or are you giving? I think stingy people are just stinky. I don't want to be a "stinky" person.



2 Corinthians 9:7-8


 7Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

 8And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

The Pumpkin Man gave what he had to bless others and he touched many lives. What do you have to give?  The grace will come from God if you ask for it~ but the giving comes from the heart. How would we feel if God was stingy with His resources as we are with our resources? (Just a thought.) The story of the Pumpkin man blessed my heart and challenged me to see where I could be more giving. Remember we are not going to take anything with us when we make our final journey Home.






3 comments:

Treasures Evermore said...

I loved this post...I always wondered why people who have fields and fields of pumpkins charge so much....when one seed produces so many?

Your post made me realize that no matter what I have...it can be shared. May I never forget and may I always be generous and NOT STINKY!!!

Hugs,
Connie

Tanya said...

What a wonderful post to put things in perspective! I have FINALLY learned to use the "stuff"...the china, the special lotion or perfume, light the candle, etcetc....it won't be going so use it, give it away, share it! Thanks for reminding me again!
I have wonderful news to share with you....we have common ground AGAIN! Come visit!

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

I love the saying that we are blessed to be a blessing. Sometimes God blesses us with abundant produce such as pumpkins (been too wet to grow pumpkins, squash or zucchini - they just rot, wish there was a pumpkin man around here!) Or maybe our blessing is a talent God has given us such as knitting or sewing. We can make gifts for others and also pass on those skills. I'm not a knitter or accomplished sewer but I love sharing my passion for Christmas decorating and giving people ideas. I cannot bring myself to charge people for the seminars I run, it just doesn't seem right to me. The extra income would be nice but as I've found out God blesses us when we freely give without expecting anything in return.

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details