Thursday, November 10, 2011

Momma's Hands~






Proverbs 31:20

King James Version (KJV)

 20She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.

With the Holidays quickly approaching I have been doing a lot of thinking about new beginnings. All my kids will be home for Christmas this year and I am so excited. I am making my list and checking it twice. I have started shopping and hope to have it all wrapped up by Thanksgiving weekend.

I have been thinking back to how my momma and grandma made my Christmas in the past memorable. I too~ want to start making those memories with my sweet grandbabies.

When I look at my hands I see both my moms and my grandmother Baker's hands. My mother's hands are long and slender~always cool to touch. My mother's hands are pretty yet show wear and tear. My grandmother only hand one hand and it was weary and worn from doing the work of two hands~ yet beautiful to me. She had a big strong hand.

All mothers need big hearts and big hands.  They begin to gain strength when they grip the rail in the delivery room and then gently hold that baby for the first time. Before long they are changing diapers, washing dirty faces and bottoms, cleaning spit-ups, wiping tears, rocking sleepy babies and putting babies to bed.

 They brace chubby little toddlers and keep them out of harm's way. They toss balls, prepare holiday dinners, set festive tables, unfold birthday parties, and wrap Christmas packages. They color and do homework~ rake leaves for little kids to jump in and find jars to hold lightning bugs.

They push swings and let go of bikes as a child learns to peddle. They create Halloween costumes, mend scraped knees, make a sick child well, write letters to send to camp and teach a child how to pray.

They grasp the steering wheel while chauffeuring from one place to the next all to soon they grip the seat as their teen learns how to drive.

Those same hands wave goodbye while sending off their baby to college ~ and adjust a cherished daughter's wedding veil. A mother's hands are loving hands, disciplining hands, grieving  hands, protecting hands, and providing hands. They embrace a child and then when it is time~ she opens them and lets them go.

When I think about my mother and grandmother's hand I only have to look at my own and I am reminded of them both.  They are getting weary at times and worn.

As I look at my hands ~ I thank God for giving me these hands to show love. I thank Him for the love I have received from the two women who shaped and molded me with their loving hands.

 I thank God that He holds me in the palm of His hands. I pray today that I will use these hands for good, to help a child, to give a hug, to cook a meal, to touch with kindness, to caress with love. And as these hands let go I have a God who gently wipes away the tears.

Most of all today I want to lift these hands up to praise my God for all the blessings that have passed through these worn hands.



8 comments:

Trace4J said...

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
How wonderful all the children and grandboy home for CHRISTmas!
Blessings Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

Lovely post!!

Down On The Farm said...

Awww. You made me cry this morning, but good tears. Yes my hands don't look like they used to. They are looking worn and older. But I too am so thankful for all that God has allowed these hands to be a part of. Beautiful reminder this morning. Blessings!

Marmee's Pantry said...

Lovely, lovely post. I, too, have my mom's & gr-ma's hands. My mom passed on Sept. 17th & I have been wearing some of her rings ~ wow ~ realizing even more how much my hands look like hers.

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

Mrs.C said...

I love this post! I'm always so thankful when I think back to all the "doing" my Mother and Grandmothers did for all of their families. My Mother's favorite gift from me, was when I recorded all of the things I could remember her doing for me, with her hands. She treasured that, that someone remembered all the things she did with love, all those years. And she's still at it. Hope you all have a wonderful family gathering, I know they'll all be blessed by your loving hands!

Judy said...

Thank you for such a beautiful post! Tears are still spilling down my cheeks as I remember my mother's and grandmother's hands. Then I look at mine - crooked from arthritis, but still able to praise my God! Blessings to you.

April said...

Beautiful post, thank you for the sweet memories you brought back to me. :) How excited you must be that all of the children and grandbabies will be there for Christmas.

BECKY said...

What a precious post, Carrie. You will do just as both of these special women did for you...the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree, you know? I will be praying for tender blessings for you, and a special blessing on all you put your hands to in order to make your holidays memorable.

Hugs to you, sweetie,
Becky

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details