Saturday, November 12, 2011

Spread Merry Not Bah Humbug~




Proverbs 17:22

King James Version (KJV)

 22A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.



This week I ran into one of the infamous Dollar Stores to pick up a few items. As I was checking out the lady behind me pulls her cart up to the cashier as I was leaving and huffs~ "I just hate this time of year." I look back and see a frazzled looking momma with a couple of babies in the cart and Christmas wrapping paper and such. I gave her a smile and left but her words have haunted me ever since. I was not prepared~ oh but I wish I had been. I am not skipping over Thanksgiving but I have started my shopping and the rush has begun because us mommas have much on our plates in the next month.

I decided right then and there to be prepared the next time. I think I will have a candy cane ready for the next bah humbugger and a message about why this time of year is so very special~ along with a helping hand.

After all those of us who have Jesus in our hearts have a special gift we can share with those we meet. Not only that but we can spread some merry too! What a wonderful time to be full of peace, love and joy. To give a hand~ help someone unload their cart in the super store isle or hold a baby to help a young momma~ maybe even hand out a dollar or two. My momma raised us three kids by herself on a poverty level~ but we never knew it. She manages a dollar better than any I have ever seen. Last year at Christmas she set aside some rolled dollars and handed them out with a message of Jesus. Remember we can never out give our God!

I am getting a head start this year for it is going to busier than normal but nothing should keep us from celebrating the true gift of Christmas. I think it would be a great time to determine to not allow ourselves to be caught up in the busyness so that we miss the chance to share Jesus.

This morning I have sent My Brian to the woods to fill my freezer and I am off to get those early bird specials but I plan on looking for ways to spread some Merry mixed with a little Jesus!


3 comments:

Heather said...

A cheerful heart indeed!! May we all have it this season....I hope to find a Christmas tree here in Bahrain there are not many I saw one at the store today but they wanted 269 dinars which is about 500$ us dollars lol!! The mice at our fake tree over the winter back in Cali but had I known I would have made sure I brought one with me. I love your idea of a candy cane. Since Christmas is not a holiday here I do not think I will run into any grumpy Christmas shoppers but maybe I will bring along the candy cane for just the regular grumps hehehehe ~I hope you have a wonderful season I am going to start watching all my Christmas movies very soon ....This will be the first year I do not watch the ABC 25 days of Christmas ...~Love Heather

Julia said...

oh what a wonderful post and an awesome attitude to have, Carrie!

Unfortunately, it is so easy to get caught up with the stresses of life. Thank you for your timely reminder to BE CHEERFUL and Spread the LOVE of God!

blessings,
Julia

Cheryl said...

Such a good post, I like the idea of handing out candy canes. It is so sad to see people so down this time of year, not knowing the real meaning of Christmas. Thanks for all of the great posts, they are a blessing.

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details