Saturday, December 31, 2011

Homemade Runza Rolls~



When I was a young girl I would visit my uncle and aunt who lived in Nebraska. They would take me to a restaurant  that served these little dough balls full of ooey~  gooey goodness. They called them Runzas~a meat filled roll .

You can make the dough homemade ~ but frozen rolls will work too.

Dough~
1 1/4 cup of warm milk
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 3/4 cup flour
1 pkg. yeast

Put warm milk in bowl and add yeast~dissolve well. Add oil, sugar. salt.  Slowly add flour. I use my Mix Aid. Knead into a nice dough. I let this rest while I cook the meat mixture.


Filling~
2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion
1/2 head of chopped cabbage~ or slaw mix
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
cheese slices

Brown meat and onions until half done~then add cabbage~and salt and pepper. Finish cooking until cabbage is translucent. Drain well and put in fridge to cool. The dough does not like hot meat.

Roll your dough into small dinner roll size and fill with meat mixture when cool ~ add some cheese~ and wrap them up nice and neat. Place seam down on a greased cookie sheet.

Let  them rest and rise for 30 minutes.
Cook 35 minutes in a 35o degree oven.

Glaze butter over the top.



2 comments:

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

YUM -- and everyone in Nebraska has their own homemade version. Yours looks wonderful. I'll be giving these a try for my runza-crazed kids :)

Happy New Year Carrie!!

Blessings!
Gail

Tanya said...

OH Carrie,
Those pictures are priceless! 2012 is going to be a great year for your beautiful family! Absolutely adorable little kiddos! Your family is just growing and growing!
Did Hannah do the Photo Booth at home? What an awesome idea! How cute is that! I'll have to remember that for next year! So festive!
We're going to have a great year!
But I'm NOT going to make it to midnight and bring it in! HA
Tanya

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details