Friday, January 6, 2012

Remembering The Nail~



1 John 3:16

 (KJV)


Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.




This morning in my quiet time with God I read this story~



Emil Mettler, a restaurant owner in London, was known for his generosity. He often fed people for nothing. If a representative of a Christian organization came in and told him of a need, he would open his cash drawer and give a sizable donation.
One day Emil opened his cash drawer in the presence of a missionary official who noticed a nail among the bills and coins. Surprised at what he saw, the man asked, “What’s that doing there?” Emil picked up the 6-inch spike and replied, “I keep this with my money to remind me of the price Christ paid for my salvation and what I owe Him in return.”
Emil used that nail to remind himself that he owed the Lord a great debt of love and gratitude because Jesus had laid down His life for him (1 John 3:16-23). Emil used that simple object to stimulate his own generosity as he remembered the Savior’s sacrifice.

We are so quick to think about our rights and our feelings. Sometimes we fail to think about the sacrifice on Calvary~where Jesus paid the penalty for our sin with His own death on the cross. How often do we consider Calvary? 
Emil's example should inspire us day to day during our walk to not just remember the nails~ the thorns~ the torture but remember the loving heart that was behind this enormous sacrifice that was freely given for your sin and mine. What a humbling thought!

Christ gave Himself that you and I might give ourselves for others. 






6 comments:

Heather said...

a good reminder indeed!! thanks for sharing love Heather

Treasures Evermore said...

Oh Carrie thank you, thank you for sharing this story. You have just inspired me through this mans' life.

This is how I want to live every day.

Blessings,
Connie

Nezzy said...

Sweet Carrie, may we never ever forget the price he paid for our debt.

Beautiful post sweetie, sent chills thought my body.

God bless and have a wonderful weekend my friend!!!

MyJourneyBack said...

Great post. Loved this. BTW you know I love visiting you. I started something new called Saturday Sleepover. Kind of a intro. my fav's to my readers. I would like to intro. you next Sat. Do you mind if I I borrow a some pics and post. I'll send my friends over to meet you! Check out my post today and meet Becky at Sweet Cottage Dreams. Have a great Sunday. Sherry

CreativeLee said...

One thing worthy to be reminded of daily.

DeeMama said...

Love this....Thank you! :-)

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details