Tuesday, January 17, 2012

When I Am Weeping ~ He Weeps With Me






John 11:35 (KJV)


Jesus wept.



This is the shortest verse in the Bible but it carries an in-depth message. I think about it a bit different these days. Last Fall when my brother called with the news that my father had been found in his front yard and he was gone I wept like I have never wept. In fact~ I cried for weeks. My tears would not stop falling and still today they will start out of the blue as I grieve the reality that my Dad is gone. I can't call him ~ hug him ~ tell him I love him or that I need him. 

In this passage, Lazarus had died and his sisters were distraught. Lazarus was not old~it seemed he was gone all the sudden and way too soon. I get that~ my dad was only 63! I am sure many of you do too! Lazarus' sisters had questions. Why did Jesus not come earlier? He could have healed him if He would have been there~ Did He not care?

When Jesus finally arrives ~ Lazarus had been in the grave for four days. When Martha heard that their close friend ~Jesus was coming~ she ran to meet Him. She wanted answers. Last time Jesus had visited Martha grabbed her apron and headed for the kitchen. I get Martha. I am more like Martha than Mary. We are kindred sisters at heart. Knowing Martha personally, he gives her an answer~ He said, "Your brother will rise again." 

Mary, on the other hand, is the tenderhearted sister. She was the one sitting at Jesus' feet the last time He visited. She asked the same questions as Martha but she was weeping~ her heart was broken in tiny pieces. I now understand Mary a bit more here of late. Jesus sees her crying and He is so moved by her grief that He weeps with her. 

Two women with two different personalities ~yet a Lord who understands them and loves them both for who they were. 

Sometimes I am like Martha. I want answers for the pain and the hurt that is breaking my heart. I want to do something~ fix it or, at least, I can bake a pie.  Through reading the Word and praying, I find answers~peace ~hope and comfort. Jesus never lays out the complete picture for me but He does reassure me that He has it all under control. 

Yet ~ sometimes I am like Mary. My heart and soul are so broken that I don't need answers I just need to crawl up in His lap and weep. Just like Jesus asked Mary to come to Him ~He wants me to come to Him and in coming to Him, I don't have to be ashamed of my tears. In fact, my heart has a special healing just in knowing He weeps along with me. 






5 comments:

Patty said...

How blessed we are to have such a friend and Savior. Have a blessed day, Carrie.

Marydon said...

Oh, Carrie, this is perfect for me today. Tear filled eyes for my friends husband final journey on this earth.
Thank you.
Have a lovely day ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

texasdaisey said...

I am so very sorry about your daddy. I know it must be very hard right now. I will be praying for Daddy God to comfort your heart and hold you close.
Debbie

Allison of A Farmgirl's View said...

As usual Carrie I am moved by your post. I love stopping by for the encouragement. It seems we both are remembering special men in our lives. I have been thinking alot about my Grandpa (I blogged about him this week) What a wonderful savior who knows us and loves us and guides us even to the right blogs to read at the right time for encouragement. thanks for sharing what God lays upon your heart!
Allison

Patty said...

Carrie, I was crying after the first line. I was the same way when I lost my Dad in 2003. I can still cry at the drop of a hat when something reminds me of him. Not that I need reminders... we live next door to their old house, where I have lived since I was 5 years old. All of us Daddy's Girls who have lost our Daddy are crying with you. God Bless.

patty

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details