Friday, May 11, 2012

Amish Farmer's Auction


I was invited to join a friend to attend the Amish Farmer's Market this week. Oh my stars~ was I ever wishing I had brought my car. I am going to have to go back. I am trying to get my Brian to take a vacation day.The auction is held in Jamesport, Missouri every Tuesday and Friday~ at 10:00 AM. 

Many businesses and small shop owners attend for items to resell including some of our local Farmer's Market vendors. However it is open to the public.

The first half of the Auction is produce such as strawberries, gooseberries, onions, rhubarb.......etc.  Everything goes in large amounts~ so you must share it~give it away ~ or resell. My friend's mom ended up with five large bags of sweet onions but planned on giving them away. It was so much fun. I seen many groups of friends buying to split~ what a fun idea.

 I plan on taking my husband back with an empty vehicle with  room to load up. These cute little Amish guys help load your treasures with a smile. Such sweet kids!
 There were flowers of every kind~ baskets as you can see~ bedding plants~ rose bushes~ vegetable plants ~strawberry pants~you name it....... they had it. 
 The hanging baskets were sold in groups of 15. Some went for $6.00, $5.00 and even $ 3.00 each. Now these were huge baskets much like you would find at a nursery not like a department store. They were healthy and huge ~just beautiful.
 I am ready to go back~ anyone want to go?

9 comments:

Mrs.C said...

I'd be there in a heartbeat if I lived closer. That is my kind of fun!

Lady Farmer said...

Take me, take me! I would love to go with you ~ when will you pick me up?! :~}

Looks like that would be a grand time! Hope you bring back a car full of beauty and deliciousness!
Blessings!

Patty said...

I would love to go! It's a long drive for me though since we're in the south. I talked my husband into a weekend trip to a little place a bit beyond Chicago several months back. Maybe he would be game for Missouri. Do you know if they grow all this themselves or if they resell? Seems that I read somewhere that they (some Amish)do some resell now and also use more modern farming now. Anyway, everything does look lovely.

Gone Country said...

Yes, yes, yes, I do!

I wish we had an Amish community nearby. I only know of one in Florida. Hmmm, I'll have to do some research on that.

Anyhoo, what a great idea... looks like so much fun too!

Julia said...

Me! Pick me, Carrie! What an awesome experience :0) I hope you do get to go back soon.

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

That looks like such fun! I wish I lived closer. Actually tomorrow, my Mom and I are going to Amish country about an hour from here. It's always a treat to visit, no matter how short the visit. I don't think there's a place like that out here -- but I could be mistaken. It would be worth it to find out!

Melissa Alley said...

Oh my goodness!! I want to go!

Farming On Faith said...

Oh yes~ I wish you all could meet me there. We could have a blog friend lunch at my favorite spot over an Amish meal. Yummy!

Heritage Hill Homestead said...

Hubby and I have been talking about going for a couple of years....haven't made it yet though. We live near Topeka, so could go, but it would make a very long day!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details