Thursday, June 14, 2012

Indian Fry Bread~



When I was a little girl my friend's mother went on a mission's trip and learned how to make Indian Fry Bread~ that is what the Navajo Indians called it. It is so yummy.  She served it with stew but I like mine served with my favorite taco fixings on top.

Here is my recipe~

2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
3/4 cup water
vegetable oil for frying 

* In large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add oil and tap water. Combine everything and mix with a fork or your hands. Dust with four if it seems sticky. Add a little more water if it seems dry. You need a nice soft dough. Divide the dough into 6 balls and roll them out like a tortilla. Fry in a skillet of oil  on both sides. Top with your favorite taco fixings. YUMMY!

7 comments:

Mrs.C said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'm wanting to do something different today, I may just try this. Looks yummy!

Farmchick said...

LOVE Indian fry bread....and we eat it the same way...with taco fixings. :) Hope you are doing well...come on over and say hi!!

jean@pilgrimscottage said...

Oh Carrie, I'm so glad you posted this! I was looking for a simple recipe for this kind of bread. I have to use my gluten-free flour but, I know it will work. Thanks! BTW, I love that photo of you and your husband on the sidebar.

KM Logan said...

Just saying hi to all our Blog roll members! Wanted to let you know that the KJV Blog Directory has officially relaunched with 2 Great Giveaways going on. We'd love for you to stop and check it out. http://www.kjvblogs.blogspot.com

blushing rose said...

Have not heard of this Carrie. Sounds yummy! TY for sharing.
Have a wonderful day, my friend
Hugs,
TTFN ~
Marydon

Camille said...

Okay...this is something I have got to try! Thank you so much for sharing Carrie! :)

Blessings,
Camille

Quiltingranny said...

Here in the NW the fairs serve giant sized fry bread called elephant ears and they are smothered with cinnamon sugar and sooooooooooooooo yummy! In better days, I remember my son and his now ex-wife standing in our kitchen making these together!

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details