Monday, June 4, 2012

Oh Happy Day~ Homemade Cherry Jelly




Good Morning Blog Friends~
It is a beautiful day here at Farming On Faith. I have a whole day to spend in the kitchen. I am going to "piddle" as I like to call it today. I have cherries going bad ~ so today I am making cherry jelly and while I am at it I am going to make some jalapeno jelly too. I have been promising my Brian a homemade Lemon Meringue  pie......so I have a date with myself in the kitchen with the food network. (it always inspires me)

My Brian and I have decided once in 23 years to vacation at home~ it has been a taxing school year for us. We are enjoying some rest ~ relaxation~ and a little work mixed in.

My Brian has been working on our pond. For the first time we have added blue dye and it sure looks nice~ it will help keep algae from growing too. I think we need a water fountain now~ I am still trying to convince him so. 



That would be my pond guy~ and my gardener~ I think he is really cute!



It is really fun to watch the turtles sun bathe and the bullfrogs are huge this year~
with tons more to follow.

Which is a really good thing because this is George ~
and he likes to eat the frogs. 



The hydrangeas are blooming~ which makes me so happy.
I just love them!


 The garden is growing~



“Thine, O LORD is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.”

I am off to the kitchen~ you have a blessed day~




Homemade Cherry Jelly~ 


PSALM 34:8 


 8O taste and see that the LORD is good:
blessed is the man that trusteth in him.


I love to buy jelly and jam from My Amish Friends~it is oh so good. Last year I started making my own. My neighbor brought us some wild cherries. Oh this recipe is so good and simple. ENJOY!

I did pit mine because they had worms and I wanted to make sure we had no worm jelly~tehe!

3 1/2 c. cherry juice (about 3 lb. or 2 qt. boxes sour cherries and 1/2 c. water)
1 pkg. powdered pectin
4 1/2 c. sugar

To prepare juice. Select fully ripe cherries. Soft; wash and remove stems. Do not pit. Crush cherries, add water and cover. Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Extract juice.To make jelly: measure juice into a kettle. Add pectin and stir well. Place on high heat and stir constantly. Bring quickly to a boil that cannot be stirred down. Add sugar, continue stirring and heat again to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat; skim off foam from top quickly. Pour jelly immediately into hot containers and seal. Makes about 6 (8 ounce) glasses.

10 comments:

Peggy Frezon said...

It's cool that you enjoy cooking. It is not among my skill set. I do enjoy "piddling" around though. I was happy to meet George, he's a handsome one!

Sherry Hefner said...

Yummy....that cherry jelly looks delicious! When we had our little orchard, we had cherry trees. They were so beautiful in every stage, from the bloom to the fruit. We ended up pitting ours, freezing some and giving lots and lots away to our church friends. I never made any jelly with them! But now you have made me curious....how do you crush the cherries?
I enjoy your blog and all your interesting photos! Blessings to you!
Sherry

Treasures Evermore said...

Oh how I love anything "cherry"...it is my second favourite food...I will definitely be trying this recipe since cherry season has just started.

Your garden is awesome...my is really "puny" right now..too much rain and too many bunnies LOL.

Farming On Faith said...

Hi Peggy~
I just got your book in the mail. I am just to the part where the three grey chickens appear~lol!
Enjoying it!

Farming On Faith said...

Hi Sherry~
I use my Grandma's old fashioned potato masher~ works great.

Thanks for your sweet comment~ it was a blessing to me today!

Trace4J said...

Beautiful photos and yummy jelly recipe.
My hubby and I are also having staycation. We are building a deck instead.
Thank you for sharing sweet friend.
Hugs Trace


www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Farming On Faith said...

We are heading into a drought I am afraid. We have been watering each night. The ground is as hard as a rock. Send me your rain and a few of your bunnies.

Farming On Faith said...

Hi Tracy~
We too are piddling around with some jobs that we have wanted to do. Just really enjoying getting to stay home!
Hope you have a wonderful afternoon!

Trace4J said...

Hello again.
I made your yummy cherry jelly.
It turned out perfect.
Thanks again for sharing.

Quiltingranny said...

I have to ask...do the pits dissolve? You stated to NOT pit the cherries?? Here in Washington cherry season is right around the corner!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details