Friday, June 22, 2012

Soap and Suds Party~ Buttery-Vanilla Soap Recipe




There is a little soap store in Jamesport, Mo that I visit when I visit my Amish friends. They have soap by the slabs and you cute the size you want. I just love their soap. My favorite is Goat's Milk Soap~ it is so moisturizing. But I don't have a recipe~do you have one? 

I have never tried the whole lye thing but I want to. 

I have this great idea. I am looking for good soap recipes. Please leave  your favorite soap recipe or a link to your recipe in the comments. I would love to try your recipe. 




Buttery~ Vanilla  Soap



5 pounds of melt and pour glycerin soap
3 bars of Dove (cut in chunks)
6 capsules 100 IU Vitamin E
2 Tablespoons Powdered Milk
 Butter Cream Scented Oil
Vanilla Scented Oil

* I buy my oil from Nature's Garden Candle Supply online.

Use a double boiler or use an old pan and melt on very ~very low heat or you will scorch your soap.
I melted mine on very low heat. I left some of my Dove in chunks instead of melting it all the way.

Pour into a bread pan that has been generously oiled with olive oil. I topped mine with course oatmeal and lavender from my garden~ makes it look beautiful. Cool completely. Pop out and slice into desired sized bars. Enjoy!


Oatmeal Soap Recipe~

Oatmeal has been known for many things besides for breakfast. A good oatmeal soap recipe that can help protect and nourish the skin and can be used to remove dead skin is available here for you to try.
Ingredients:
1 bar of mild soap (a large Dove bar soap is recommended)
3 to 4 tablespoons oatmeal
4 to 5 tablespoons water
Procedure:
1. Finely grind the oatmeal in a blender or miller. It should be finely ground but not too powdery.
2. Using a cheese grater, grate the bar of mild soap in a microwavable bowl.
3. Add the 4 to 5 tablespoons of water to the grated mild soap.
4. Put the soap and water mixture in a microwave for 2 to 3 minutes on high temperature. The mixture will tend to rise due to the heat. Do not let it bubble over. When the mixture rises, stir the mixture before it bubbles over.
5. If the soap has dissolved, take out the bowl of mixture from the microwave.
6. Gradually add in 3 to 4 tablespoons of the finely ground oatmeal, mixing well after each addition. Add and mix the oatmeal until the consistency of the mixture and the proportion of the oatmeal to the soap are to your liking.
7. Pour the mixture into your molds. Suggested molds for oatmeal soap are muffin pans, small bowls or 1 inch height round tin cans (you can use taller ones but you will have to remove both ends and slice the soap into round bars once it is cooled).
8. When the oatmeal soap mixture has slightly solidified but still warm, remove it from the mold and let it stand to cool thoroughly.
9. When the oatmeal soaps have completely cooled, wrap or package as desired.
Oatmeal soap is a good exfoliant and can be used to relieve itchiness due to insect bites and dry skin.
You may also add any of the following:
goats milk
vanilla
cinnamon
cocoa butter
essential oils
Enjoy or wrap in cellophane with a bow and homemade tag and you have a wonderful gift for giving away!




3 comments:

Heather said...

thanks for sharing I need to print this out ...the oatmeal I am sure would be great for my hives ~is it me or does it look yummy enough to eat hehehe ~Love Heather

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Carrie -- you can make Lye soap -- it is not as scary as it might seem. My favorite soap recipe came from this site - http://www.millersoap.com/ - the best source for soap making in my opinion :)

Blessings!
Gail

Oh, and another source where you can get a kit for the first-time soap maker is Summer's Past Farm - http://www.summerspastfarms.com/soapmaking.htm

jme71 said...

http://jme71-loudsilence.blogspot.com/2011/11/cold-process-soap-making.html This is the first recipe I did starting in November...I've been making it ever since and this is my newest soap I did this week http://jme71-loudsilence.blogspot.com/2012/06/sunshine-soap.html Soap making is WONDERFUL fun!

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details